Chapter Twenty-Seven

"I'm sorry to report that I will be unable to eat dinner with you all today." Cathleen said later that day. She'd called us all to the dining hall at about six o' clock that evening, saying she had something to tell us. "I will be leaving today instead of tomorrow like I usually do. Got it?"

We all nodded, and that seemed to be enough for her. "Alright, I'll see you all Monday." And with that, she grabbed her bag and marched out into the garage hall. We all stared at the closed door, marveling at how fast she rushed out the door.

After a while, Aiden muttered, "Okay then, should we get packing?"

"Yeah." I said, turning towards the door. "Everyone remembers the meeting spot?" When everyone nodded I continued, "Alright, well then I guess I'll see you all at eight."

On that note, I walked out the door, saying my last goodbyes to the place I thought was home.

* * *

"Bailey, do you really need all of that?"

Bailey scowled and pulled one of the many bag straps further up her arm. "Of course I do! I refuse to go anywhere without this stuff!"

"What is this?" Aiden asked, pulling a large box out of one of Bailey's bags.

"Is that a sewing machine?" Alexsandra asked, eyeing the box in Aiden's hands.

"Give me that!" Bailey yelled, snatching the box out of Aiden's hands and attempting to stuff it back in the bag, "Keep your filthy hands off my stuff if you want to keep them."

"Bailey, pick one bag." I said, kicking a stray bag towards Bailey.

"You're not the boss of me." Bailey said, crossing her arms around her many bags.

"Bailey." Dario said, "Pick one bag."

"Alright." Bailey said grumpily, grabbing her biggest bag and rearranging the contents to hold some of the stuff from her other bags. I looked over and glared at Dario who just grinned back. Of course Bailey listens to him.

"Okay," I said, once Bailey had kicked all her bags into the hall, "Are we all ready?"

"Sage," Alexsandra said, "What are you going to do with Ugine?"

I took a deep breath, forcing my heart rate to remain normal, "I told him how to get to our destination and put him outside. He'll find us eventually."

Alexsandra's eyes filled with sympathy, but she just nodded, "Yeah we're all ready."

Aiden walked up to the mothic machine and clicked the input button, "Eight engine powered hoverboards and eight pairs of hoverbands."

Error! Appeared on the screen followed by, You are unauthorized to possess such technology. Please request something else.

"Well crap." Olwyn said, looking over Aiden's shoulder, "Now how are we gonna get outta here?"

"Step aside." I said, reaching into my pocket. I had prepared for this. I pulled out the tiny dark green chip that I always carried with me, and held it close to my mouth. "Disable parental lock." I whispered to it.

"What are you doing?" Alexsandra asked, watching me scavenge around the mothic in search of an opening.

"I'm hacking the software." I replied, discovering a USB slot and stuffing the chip into it. "That should do it." I said, walking back to the front of the mothic just in time to see Processing.... Glint on the screen before it was replaced with Eight engine powered hoverboards and eight pairs of hoverbands.

"Woah." Aiden said, his face inches away from the as if checking that it was real, "How'd you do that?"

"Skills." I replied, grabbing the boards that were popping out of the machine and handing them to everyone. "Is that all the boards?"

"Yup." Alexsandra said, snapping her hover bands around her wrists, "We're ready to go."

I reached over, pulled the chip out of the mothic, and slipped it in my pocket. Then I put on my own hover bands, my heart racing a mile a minute. We're gonna get outta here. I'm about to leave the place I once thought of home, never to come back. My life after this is a matter of fate. "Let's go." I said.