21.

I headed to the cafeteria to find Alexis and the others, straight after not being able to find Ashton anywhere in the building - I'd been searching for just less than an hour. I rushed up to their table and leant my hands on it.

"Calum, have you seen Ashton?" I asked, sounding pretty desperate.

"Well, he texted me saying he felt ill," Calum furrowed his eyebrows. "He hasn't spoken to you?"

"No," I frown. "Is he in your dorm?"

"That's what he said, do you want my key?"

"If that's alright," I nod, meaning 'yes please'.

Alexis reaches out and puts her hand on my arm, "are you okay, Evi? Has something happened?"

"No, no, it's alright," I lie.

She gives me a look that says she'll talk to me about this later.

Calum passes me the key, "by the way, I don't know if you heard but there's going to be a party later, the one we were organising."

"Oh, right, okay," I nod, not paying that much attention. I take the key, smiling thankfully before jogging out of the cafeteria.

-

After unlocking the door of Ashton's room, I opened it quietly and wandered through, shutting the door behind me.

"Ashton?" I whisper, in case he was asleep or something. There was no reply or any noise in general actually, like the breathing of someone or typing on a keyboard. "Are you in here?"

I ran my hand along the wall until I found the light switch, but after turning it on, I was met with nothing except a messed up boys dormitory.

The window was open, letting in small gusts of wind since the weather wasn't that bad. I walked over to it and peered out, finding something lying on the grass that caught my eye. When I squinted my eyes, I could just about make out one of Ashton's bandannas; the red one.

It was lying there with a rock tucked over it, supporting it from not flying away with the wind.

I knew where Ashton had gone, and there was no way he was tricking me this easily.

I saw how Ashton had easily climbed down the gutter across the outside wall, so I reached out for it, grabbing onto it with my right hand. I lifted my foot onto the window ledge and then the other, skilfully standing there. Anybody watching this would think I was about to jump to my death.

I slowly turned and put my weight onto the gutter. Ashton was taller than me and he seemed to be able to get down so hopefully I could too. Luck was on my side as I managed to balance myself out and slowly climb down the gutter and onto the ground. I jumped a bit of the way, but still managed to land on my feet. Sometimes I love being a vampire.

-

"Ashton!" I call out into the forest by our University. I'd been searching here for him for a good half an hour. At least i was coming to a clearing now and I could maybe sit down and rest.

I sat resting against one of the trees, my legs sprawled out in front of me. I picked at the loose piece of wool on my black leggings. I was wearing jean shorts over them and a plain purple top tucked into it, a leather jacket of Alexis' over that.

I heard a rustle in the tree above me but didn't think much of it - the wind has been playing up a lot today. I looked up at the sky and rested the very top of my head against the tree. I couldn't really see very far up due to the tree covering it.

I was startled by the sight of a figure in the tree, sat on one of the highest branches. I abruptly sat up, clutching onto where my heart beat was increasing.

I stood opposite the tree, looking back up at it, seeing that the person wasn't just anyone, it was Ashton.

"You startled me," I told him, chuckling a little. I was met with silence as a reply.

"Can we talk?" I asked. Ashton kept that same, bored and unamused expression on his face. He looked away at one point, just gazing off at one of the other trees.

He was sat, leaning against the trunk of the tree, his legs hunched into his stomach and his arms wrapped around them. It looked strangely comfortable.

"I was looking for you for ages."

Trust was such an easily broken thing, like paper that's been dipped in water. It can easily rip, any second. I think Cassie just grabbed Ashton and I's piece of paper and put it through a shredder.

"I even got Calum to give me his key so I could see you, then I climbed out of the window," I say, "which by the way, is very dangerous in the wind."

The silence was probably worse than us having an argument. Was it weird that I wanted to hear his voice?

"Can you just, like, come down so I can speak to you?" I ask, having to squint because of the sun. "Please?"

I was clearly worse than I thought I was at this apologising stuff, and I hadn't even started yet!

"Fine," I cross my arms over my chest. "If you won't come down here, I'll come up there."

I take my leather jacket off and put it by the trunk of the tree. I begin climbing it, just like how Ashton had done at the camping trip. Only when I reach the branch that Ashton is on, do I realise just how high up it really is. I've never been afraid of heights, but the whole thing doesn't look that safe.

Ashton has now moved along further along the branch, leaving me space to sit down, which i gratefully take. We're both facing the same way, practically mirroring.

"Can I explain now?" I ask, awaiting the answer that we both know I'm not going to get. "I'll take that as a yes. Okay, I have no idea what planet Cassie is living on, but I do know, that we both know how much of a drama bitch she is. She clearly saw you behind me and made up some crap about Peter and I kissing."

He finally looks up at me, biting his bottom lip. I would be jealous of his teeth if this wasn't such an important conversation. He slowly opens his mouth to speak, "so you didn't kiss?"

I shake my head; slowly but surely. Why would I even kiss Peter? Never mind how and when, but why? I mean, sure, he's quite good looking (nothing compared to Ashton but he's okay) but he's just so obnoxious that you wonder why he hasn't married himself yet.

"She seemed pretty sure," he says, still biting that bottom lip.

"Of course she did," I roll my eyes and he furrows his eyebrows at me. "Drama bitch."

He doesn't say anything, only silently agreeing.

"And anyway," I begin, feeling the need to convince him some more. I would never cheat on Ashton. "When would I get the chance to kiss him? I was with you the whole time, apart from when I spoke with him by the lake, but even then, I'm pretty sure you were watching over."

Ashton shrugged, "what about when I was asleep?"

I scoff, "when you were asleep, I was wrapped up next to you, cuddling into your side with my head above your shoulder. Don't you think you would've noticed if I got up to go and kiss some obnoxious dick?"

"I guess," I see him try the hide the small smile playing at the end of his lips but instead he gives in, smiling brightly. "I'm sorry for not trusting you."

"It's fine, honestly, I'm just happy you believe me now," I give him a small grin.

By now, we were sat directly beside each other, shoulders touching. He reaches over and pushes a loose strand of hair from my face, looping it behind my ear.

I lean forward so I can feel his warm breath hitting my skin. My eyes flutter closed and I reach towards the back of his head to push his lips to mine. And- CREAK!

There was a loud sound that I didn't have time to react to before the whole branch came toppling downwards, hitting the ground with a thud.