34.

"I'm here. Talk," I say to my uncle with a completely neutral look on my face as I walk into my old house.

He told me that he wanted to speak to me face-to-face. At first, I thought about avoiding the idea but since I was desperate to find out what was going on, I went with it.

Uncle Theo is sat on the sofa when I walk in. Usually he'd be writing stuff to do with work or reading a newspaper but he's just sat there, staring into space. I wave a hand in front of his face and he snaps out of it.

"Hello," he says quietly, standing up. He steps towards me but I step back.

"I want answers," I demand. Usually I'd be a lot calmer in this situation but it was a bad time and I just really wanted to know what was going on. I hated secrets and at the moment it seemed like there were a lot of them.

"I think we should just sit down an-" he starts but I interrupt when I see where the conversation is going.

"No, no way. You have been keeping things from me for God knows how long. And now it's time that you tell me. I swear, if this is something big, I'm going to-"

"Evelyn!" Theo almost yells. My heart drops at the sound of my actual name. Not Sparky. It's always been Sparky. I stand there, gobsmacked, and wait for him to say something - anything - before I do, and neither of us want me to burst right now. "Your parents. I, um, I knew that they were here."

I gulp and look down at the floor. "Are you kidding me?"

"I wish I was. I didn't want to help them-"

"What do you mean, help them?" I furrow my eyebrows and look back up to meet his brown eyes. He looks tired.

"Help them to find you."

I fold my arms over my chest, "how long has this been going on?"

He takes a moment to answer, as if he's debating the answer. He goes with, "A long time," but I wish he hadn't.

"Why didn't you just tell them where I was instead of waiting till now?" I wanted to add 'when everything's going perfect' but decided against it.

"I did tell them," he visibly gulps. "And they did go to talk to you." I furrow my eyebrows so he carries on. "I think they should explain it to you."

"But they're not here. And you are, so spill," I tell him.

He raises his eyebrows suddenly and nods to something behind me and I give him this strange look. Then I slowly turn around to be met with both of my parents stood on the doorway.

"Evi," My 'Mother' says, stepping towards me. I visibly flinch and step backwards.

"Don't call me that," I scowl at the woman. "You're not allowed to call me that."

"Evelyn," she tries again. "Listen-"

"No, you listen - you leave me behind as a baby and run off into the sunset together, then you come back seventeen years later and expect me to come running to you with opened arms and tears of happiness. Well, guess what, that's not happening anytime soon. And by 'anytime soon' I mean ever."

The 'man and woman' both stand there, with both of their mouths in the shapes of an 'o', clearly shocked by my outbreak. Uncle Theo, however, steps forward.

"Evelyn! That's no way to speak to your parents!" He says, reaching out to grab my arm but I rip it out of his hold.

I snort, "my parents? They're not my parents. To me, you're strangers. I can't even remember your names." That's not completely true but I say it all the same.