33.

"W-what are you?!"

I stand up from the bed, and rush over towards Alexis but she holds out her hands and tries to get as far away from me as possible. "Hear me out, Alexis," I say quickly. "Let me explain."

"You just-" she stutters and her voice still sounds shaky. "You just zoomed in here- what the- what are you?"

I sigh and gaze over towards her, "I should've told you. It didn't seem important then. But I'm- I'm a vampire."

"A what?" She says, although I'm sure that she heard perfectly.

"Vampire," I repeat. "A vampire."

She breathlessly chuckles, but I can see she doesn't find it funny.

"You're lying," she shakes her head a bit, almost refusing to believe me. "You better be joking."

"Alexis-" I say in a completely neutral voice, not a jokey one. She cuts me off and points a finger at me accusingly.

"You're a monster," she cries, then rushes towards the door and runs out of the room before I can stop her.

I follow her down the hall and see she's rushing over to Calum and Ashton's room. She knocks - more like punches - on the door quickly, calling to be let in. The door swings open to reveal Ashton, looking down at Alexis being a shaken up mess. Before he can say anything, she pushes him and herself inside the room and shuts the door.

I stand outside the door and press my ear to it, trying to hear what they're saying. Ashton speaks first.

"Alexis, are you okay?" He's trying hard to soothe her.

"Evi- she, she's a-a," she doesn't finish the sentence, just trails off.

"Maybe you should sit down."

"I can't, where's-where's Calum?" She demands.

"He's not in. He's in class," Ashton explains. "If you need to talk, I'm right here."

Alexis doesn't reply.

"You said something about Evi," Ashton tries again.

Alexis almost yells, "don't say her name!"

"What's wrong?"

After a while, she replies, "Evelyn is, apparently."

"What's she done now?" Ashton asks, almost fondly.

"No, no, it's not good," Alexis says. "Has she not told you? Do you know about her- her- her thing!"

"Thing?"

"She said," Alexis drops to a whisper, then bursts. "She said she's a vampire! Wait, can vampires hear this far? Do they have special hearing? X-Ray vision maybe? Oh my god, Ashton, we have to do something. What if she can hear us right now?"

I sigh and speak up from outside the door, "then she'd ask to be let in please."

I hear Alexis take in a sharp breath. "Shit! Ashton we need to escape quickly. We need to jump out of the window and-"

"Alexis," Ashton says calmly.

Alexis ignores him. "-run away before she smashes the door down and bites us. What if she's-"

"Alexis."

"-hungry?! She's going to kill us Ashton, I can sense it. We have to get out of here before it's-"

"Alexis!" Ashton yells.

"What?!" She yells back.

"I'm letting Evi in," he says then before she gets to reply, the door opens and I walk in.