31.

"Hey," I say when Ashton opens the door of his apartment, wearing black jeans and a white tank top.

After struggling to think up ideas about the song writing, I'd finally resulted to looking for ideas. Hence why I'm here. Ashton's great at music, and sitting with him for a while could give me ideas.

"Hello," he says, extending the 'o'. "What's up?"

He leans against the doorframe as I tell him, "I've been trying to think of song lyrics for my music project but nothing's coming to mind."

"You need help?" He asks, opening the door for me to come in.

I step into the room and put my bag on the floor. "I need ideas, yeah."

He walks over to his bed and sits on it, cross-legged while I take my jacket off. I quickly take out a booklet and a pen from my bag and take it over to Ashton. I sit opposite him and set the booklet in front of me on a blank page.

"Where's Calum?" I ask, looking around as if expecting him to magically appear.

I meet Ashton's eyes and he's giving me a 'really?' look. He says, "where do you think?"

I roll my eyes and forget about the obvious question that I just asked. Alexis and Calum have been spending even more time together since they broke up. I think it's sweet.

Ashton speaks up again, eyeing my shirt, "I like your Cobain shirt."

"Thanks," I smile. I was wearing it with a pair of red jeans that Alexis said I could borrow(being the same size as your roommate works wonders). "What were you doing before I got here?"

"Listening to some good music," he explains, pointing to his half-closed laptop that's lying on the floor. "The one about living on a prayer is my favourite."

I scribble something down. "I've never heard it," I confess.

"You have not lived!" He exclaims. "You should though, really."

I curiously ask, "have you ever written a song?"

He nods, "yeah. Many."

"Would you play me one, someday?" I ask, smiling enthusiastically as if that'll convince him more.

"Maybe," he shrugs. "Have you?"

I shake my head, "I've never even thought about trying. I just love music."

"What instrument do you play?"

"I can play a bit of guitar, some songs on piano," I explain. "And the drums."

"Talented."

I scrunch up my nose, "not really. It's just what friends have taught me. Mainly Michael though."

"Michael can play?"

"Oh yes!" I smile at the memories of Mikey and I playing instruments in his garage until dinner, and then afterwards. We used to love it. "He can sing and play the guitar really, really well."

"I'd have to listen some day," he says.

"Yes! You really should."

-

I'm sat on the window sill in the music practise rooms when I finally finish the lyrics to the song. It only took me, like, five hours or something. Finding the right tune will be harder though.

I grab a guitar that's leaning against the wall and hold it against me. I stare down at it and let my fingertips glide across the strings, making a quiet yet beautiful sound that continues to go on until I place my hand against them. That silences the tune like a whistle being blown in a football match or a teacher raising their hand in a classroom.

I don't know how long I had been sat there, trying out different tunes on the guitar until I hear the door open. I glance up and see Luke stood timidly in the doorway, then look back at the guitar.

"Hey," he says, closing the door behind him and taking a seat on the piano chair. "Ashton told me you were in here and I thought you might need some help."

I blow out a puff of air from my cheeks. "It's really hard to make up a tune from scratch."

"Tell me about it," he rolls his eyes, but remains with a grin on his face.

"You play?" I raise my eyebrows. I didn't think Luke was really into Music. Maybe Drama, but not Music.

"You sound surprised."

I shrug, "just didn't expect you to play." I look down at the guitar and then slowly hand it over to him. He grins and takes it from me, holding it against his chest and staring down at it the same way I did. "Can you play a song?"

He furrows his eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah, for inspiration."

He sighs, "okay, this is one of my recent ones. It's called Voodoo Doll."

"Interesting name," I compliment. He hums in reply. Then begins the song.

He plays the guitar effortlessly well. His fingers strum against the strings like they were invented for it. And when he sings, I'm shocked. His voice sounds amazing!

The song comes to an end and I stand up and clap enthusiastically. I can hear Luke's chuckles over the sound of my hands loudly clapping.

"That was brilliant!" I tell him, sitting back on the window sill.

"Thank you," he smiles.

"So you'll help me?" I ask, silently begging. "I just need the tune."

"You've got the lyrics?"

"Yes! I worked very hard on them," I nod a couple of times.

"Mmm-okay," he sighs and I do a long 'yesssss' in reply. "But only as long as you let me hear you sing."

I reach my hand out to shake his, "deal."

-

That night, I got a text from an unknown number while I was lying in bed scrolling down my Twitter timeline.

{From: Unknown Number}
Meet me at 31 Crowford Road at 11:00 tomorrow. Come alone. Or else.

I didn't know what it meant but I knew things were getting interesting.

A/N

This is really short I'm sorry. But apparently things are getting interesting so. .

QUESTION: Who do you think the Unknown number is? One of her old/new friends? A stranger?

Thanks for reading.