Part 16

Y/n sat in her room. She was bored. As in, she was tempted to train, level bored. She walked around her room, but eventually gave up and looked for someone to entertain her.

She knocked on Wanda's door, and after a few seconds, smiled as she was pulled into the room.

"Hello, Y/n! I was about to watch sitcoms, do you want to join?" Y/n smiled as she agreed, and they both sat on Wanda's bed as she set up the TV. Wanda motioned to the large assortment of old DVDs near her bed.

"You can pick one if you like. I love them all." Y/n smiled as she looked at the covers. Some had families, some had friends, some were bright colours, and others were black and white. She picked up an older-looking one and handed it to Wanda.

"This one looks good." Wanda smiled.

"Dick Van Dyke show, a very good choice. It's one of my favourites." They started watching the show, and after a few minutes, they were laughing in sync with each other.  When the episode had finished, Wanda turned to Y/n.

"I think we should get to know each other better." Y/n grinned and turned to her, cross-legged.

"Awesome. What do you want to know?" Wanda shrugged.

"What's the most embarrassing thing about you?" Y/n looked at her.

"That's an interesting question. I have no idea." Wanda frowned and her eyes changed to a slightly red color. Y/n's smile dropped and she looked at Wanda.

"What did you just do?" Wanda shrugged with wide eyes.

"You didn't answer, so I read your mind." She said it like it was harmless, and it was to her, but Y/n didn't think so.

"Wanda, you cant do that! You can't read people's minds without asking! That's not okay!" Wanda looked down, which made Y/n sigh.

"Look, I know you didn't mean anything, but ask next time, okay?" Wanda just slowly looked back up while nodding.

"I'll ask next time, but can I ask a question? About what I saw when I read your mind?" Y/n hesitantly nodded.

"Can you really not read?"

Y/n looked at Wanda, and she hung her head. They sat there for a few seconds in a dense silence.

"You can't tell anyone. This stays between you and me." Wanda nodded, but Y/n barely saw. She flopped back onto Wanda's bed and rubbed her face slowly. Wanda looked at her. She didn't mean to upset her, but she also wanted to know more.

"Why not ask Stark to help you? Or anyone else?" Y/n moved her hands from her face and looked at Wanda.

"Do you think they'd let me stay here, be an avenger, if they knew I couldn't read? I can't write down a mission report, so I've just been bribing whoever goes with me with food to do them. What happens if they put me on a solo mission? I don't want to go back to being an illiterate poor person who needs a full-time job." Wanda curled her lips outwards.

"What if I taught you? I could teach you to read, no one would have to know." Y/n looked at her with a smile, but it dropped quickly.

"Wanda, how well do you know English? I know it's not your first language. But thanks anyway. Look, I've made it this far, and no one has noticed. And you only know cause you read my mind, which is cheating. I can keep it up, I've been doing it practically forever. But Wanda, you have to really promise me that you won't tell anyone, even if you think you're helping." Wanda pouted.

"But..." Y/n shook her head.

"No Wanda, you have to promise. No one can know. Not Pietro, not Vision, and definitely not Steve. No one." Wanda sighed and slowly nodded. Y/n have her a half smile and pointed back to the TV.

"Wanna watch the next episode?" Wanda looked at her with tensed eyebrows.

"Does it not bother you that you can't read?" Y/n sighed. She wanted to move on, but knew if she didn't talk to Wanda, she might tell someone else.

"I mean, it makes things harder, so yeah, but I can get by. I colour code things instead of labels, and I have a great memory." Wanda looked at her with wide eyes.

"So why not tell Steve? He could help..." Y/n cut her off before she could finish.

"I'm not telling him. And neither are you. I'm fine. Please, I wanna watch the next episode." Wanda laid back, and they watched more episodes together. But the whole time, she was thinking about Y/n, and trying to find some way to help her.

...

The weeks went on and Y/n and Wanda became closer. They spent most of their free time talking or watching old sitcoms. As it turned out, Y/n almost loved them as much as Wanda, almost being the key word.

Y/n was walking out of the gym when Pietro ran up to her and handed her a folded piece of paper.

"Hello to you too. What is this?" Pietro smiled.

"This is me asking you out. They are movie tickets for Saturday." Y/n grinned before turning and walking out of the hallway. Pietro looked at her.

"Is that a yes or a no? Princesca?" Y/n grinned and kept walking as she yelled back.

"Saturday, don't be late!"

As soon as she was out of Pietro's view, she teleported in front of Wanda's room. She kept knocking, keeping the loud thumping until Wanda opened her door.

"Your brother asked me on a date." Wanda cackled with laughter. After a few seconds she looked up.

"He's stupid, don't mind him. I think painkiller induced you said it best, slow in the brain, fast everywhere else." Y/n grinned as she pushed the movie tickets into Wanda's hands.

"I said yes. Now, what movie are we seeing?"

~~~
Word Count: 1010

I know this is a short chapter, but I wanted the reveal to be the main focus.

So yeah, y/n can't read. I've been dropping hints here and there, but I just wanted to add something else to the character, ya know? It's also gonna come into play later.

Thanks so much for reading, and don't forget to comment and vote!