Part 43

"Someone will. One of us. At least one of us will live, and they'll bring them back. I promise." She shook her head again. 

"I can't risk this reality on a promise. It's the duty of the sorcerer supreme to protect the time stone." Y/n scoffed. 

"Really? Cause Strange just kinda gave it away. Straight to Thanos." Her eyes widened. 

"What did you say?" Y/n furrowed her eyebrows. 

"I saw it with my own eyes. He gave the stone up to Thanos." She started at her. 

"Willingly?" Y/n nodded. The woman raised her eyebrow. 

"Why?" Y/n looked at her. 

"To save us. He said it was the only way." She stood up. 

"Or I did." 

She put her hands in front of the eye of Aggamoto and spread them apart. The tiny mechanisms inside of the necklace twirled and ground, slowly revealing more and more of the green glow of the stone. She returned Bruce to his body and floated the stone over to the pair of heroes. 

"Strange is meant to be the best of us." Bruce looked down at her with furrowed eyebrows. 

"So he must have done it for a reason." She looked at the stone with alarm in her eyes. 

"I fear you might be right." Y/n chuckled. 

"I wouldn't worry, he almost never is." She handed the stone over silently. Bruce looked at it. 

"Thank you." She took a step closer to him and held his hands in her own. 

"I'm counting on you both. Bruce and Y/n, and Hulk and Circut. We all are." Y/n nodded. 

"We won't let you down." 

~~~ 

Y/n closed her eyes as Bruce counted down the seconds. Her body felt like it was ripping away, and by the time she had opened her eyes again, she was back in her present. She looked around at everyone with a smile. Everyone's helmets melted away. Tony looked around as Bruce spoke. 

"Did we get them all?"  Rhodey smiled widely as he shook the Power stone. 

"Are you telling me this actually worked?" Y/n turned her head as Clint thumped heavily down from the platform. 

"Wait, where's Nat?" The silence was filling the room as he looked at the floor. Everyone was speechless as it sunk in. Y/n shook her head. 

"This was supposed to bring everyone back, not take people away." Bruce fell to the floor loudly. Y/n felt a tear snake down her face. 

"I need... I need some space." She closed her eyes, pressing tears out angrily. With a flash of orange light, she was out on the lake. 

The pier was quiet, and Y/n had always liked the quiet. She had always thrived in it. She grew up living in the background, letting the noise just drift by. She watched as across the lake the others talked, and Bruce threw things. She pulled out her phone and started filming. 

"Hey! How's my little Prince? Look, I know I've been gone for a while, and, gosh, I'm not very good at these. I just want you to know that you're the best part of my life, and I love you so much. You know that, right? And no matter who you turned out to be, I know you'll be helping people, even in small ways. And I could never be prouder." She wiped away tears and cleared her throat. "You are so special, and I am so lucky you chose me to be your mum. I just hope I can make you as proud of me as I am of you." She blew a kiss into the camera and turned it off. 

Game time. 

~~~

Y/n watched as Rocket, Bruce and Tony fitted the last of the glove. Rocket laughed. 

"Hey! Glove's ready! Question is, who's gonna snap their fingers?" Thor stepped forward. 

"I'll do it." Y/n raised her eyebrows in shock. Tony held his hand out to stop Thor from reaching the glove. 

"Stop. Stop. Stop." Steve walked forward to him. 

"Thor, just wait. We haven't decided who's gonna put that on yet." Thor scoffed. 

"I'm sorry. What, we're all just sitting around waiting for the right opportunity?" Scott frowned. 

"We should at least discuss it." Thor turned to him. 

"Look, sitting here staring at the thing is not gonna bring everybody back. I'm the strongest Avenger, okay? So, this responsibility falls upon, me." Steve pushed him away from the glove lightly. 

"It's not about that." Thor was hissing when Tony cut in. 

"Hey! Look at me." Thor stopped and took a deep breath before grabbing Tony's shirt. 

"Just, let me do it. Just let me do something good, something," Tony cut him off. 

"Look, it's not just the fact that that glove is channeling enough energy to light up a continent. I'm telling you. You are in no condition." Thor flicked his head up. 

"What do you think is coursing through my veins right now?" Rhodey turned to him. 

"Cheese whiz?" Y/n high fived him as Thor looked over angrily before turning back to Tony. 

"Lighting. Lighting!" Bruce looked at them. 

"Lighting won't help you pal. It's gotta be me. You saw what those stones did to Thanos. They almost, they almost killed him. None of you could survive." Bruce walked towards the glove. Steve watched him. 

"How do we know you will?" Bruce stopped. 

"We don't. But the radiation is mostly gamma. It's like, I was made for this." 

~~~ 

Word Count: 975

Sorry for posting so late. Everything in my life got super crazy all at once, and I haven't been feeling up to writing. But I am going to finish what I started, so here's this week's chapter. Sorry, it's a bit short. 

We are officially half way through the movie! Woop Woop! God, it's long. 

Thanks so much for reading! Make sure to comment and vote, see you next week!