Part 44

Bruce stepped forward.

"It's like, I was made for this." He held the gauntlet in his hands.

The fate of the world looked so tiny.

Tony walked beside him.

"We good to go?" Bruce slowly lifted his head.

"Let's do it." Tony paced around before turning to everyone.

"Okay, remember everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago, we're just bringing them back to now, today. Don't change anything from the last five years." Y/n bit her fingernails as Bruce nodded his head.

"Got it." Everyone got their super suits ready, preparing for the blast that was to come. Helmets closed, knees were bent, prayers were made. Tony released a shield from his arm.

"Friday, do me a favor and activate Barn Door Protocol, will ya?" Heads turned around the room as thick metal doors glided over windows, ceilings, and walls. In the dim light, Y/n watched as Bruce lowered his chin to his chest.

"Everybody comes home." He carefully moved his hand into the gauntlet. As his green fist got closer, the gauntlet pieces expanded out to fit him. As the readjustments finished, lighting rode up his arm. The stones' signature colours crackled as Bruce fell to the floor groaning. Thor yelled out to him.

"Take it off! Take it off!" Steve bounced forward and pushed his arm out.

"No, wait, Bruce? Are you okay?" Bruce just kept groaning as the lighting grew, sparks flashing and flying as he screamed. Tony looked at him carefully.

"Talk to me Banner." He kept moaning for a few seconds before taking a deep breath.

"I'm okay. I'm okay." Sweat ran down his face as he raised his fist toward the gods. Crying out, he grasped the gauntlet with his other hand and snapped.

There was a flash of white as he fell back, the gauntlet falling off to reveal Bruce's burnt arm. Everyone ran over to him as Hawkeye kicked the gauntlet away. Tony crouched down and sprayed Banner's arm with a cooling spray. Bruce whined as he reached up to grab Thor's arm.

"Did it work?" Thor looked down and responded quickly.

"I'm not sure, we'll find out soon." The doors slowly opened and Scott walked out to a window. Clint turned his head as his phone buzzed on the table. Y/n fell to the floor. She hastily grabbed her phone from her pocket. As she fumbled with it, she let out a sob.

She wasn't getting a notification.

Clint answered his phone, and it was a stab in Y/n's heart. She turned away to hear Scott's laugh.

"Guy's, I think it worked."

But hope never lasts longer than pain.

As the sky light was revealed by the metal panels sliding away, a ship hovering above them came into view. A wave of blue sent Scott flying back as hundreds of tiny blue missiles exploded onto the campus grounds. Y/n screamed as the building crashed.

~~~

Her chest was compressed, but that wasn't the reason she couldn't breathe. Air couldn't, or rather wouldn't, enter her lungs as she wondered about Pietro. Where was he? Was he alright? Did it really work?

Y/n tried to move, but she was surrounded. She tensed her muscles, but the debris was too tight. As her breaths continued to shallow she felt herself slipping away. Right as her eyes fluttered, she rolled. She looked up to see Tony holding a large piece of the former building which had been trapping her.

"We cannot keep meeting like this." She let out a wish of air kind of laugh, which made Tony smile. he held out a hand to her.

"Come on Squeak, we've got world saving to do." She took his hand and let him pull her up.

"Then we'd better get moving Thump."

~~~

Y/n followed Tony and Cap to Thor. As she looked out, she saw him. Thanos. Sitting down like nothing was happening. Tony glared at the big purple monstrosity.

"What's he been doing?" Thor waited as he took a breath.

"Absolutely nothing." Cap frowned.

"Where are the stones?" Y/n turned to him.

"Somewhere, all around here. Like the worst treasure hunt ever." Tony nodded.

"All we know is that he doesn't have them." Cap stared out into the distance.

"So we keep it that way." Thor huffed loudly.

"You know it's a trap right?" Tony shrugged.

"Yeah. I don't much care." Thor nodded quickly.

"Good. Just long as we're in agreement." He held his arms out to the sky. Blue thunder crackled down in a long pillar as his eyes glowed brightly. Mjolnir and Stormbreaker flew into his arms.

"Let's kill him properly this time." Y/n stared at him with wide eyes and whispered.

"Holy shit."

~~~

Word Count: 857

So, I didn't update last week, sorry. I wasn't having a good week, and I just couldn't bring myself to write, but we are back on track! I know this chapter is significantly shorter than usual, but I felt like this was a good place to end it. Ya know?

Thanks so much for reading! Make sure to comment and vote, see you next week!