Chapter 20- I'll See You Later

—————

The light of base camp shone bright above the thick brush of trees, and Izuku staggered to it, slowly. Frost covered almost half his body. A trail of ice was stretched behind him, going on so far it seemed there was no end to the crystals. On his non-icy shoulder, Kota was crying, ignoring the charred bits of Izuku's clothing.

Shoto was hanging off his body, extremely pale with haggard breathing. He was abnormally cold. They were still in the forest, but Izuku didn't think he could make the last couple of steps into the clearing. Izuku tried laying him on the grassy floor, but his body failed and he collapsed along with Shoto. Wet grass tickled at his clothes.

"G-Get up," Kota mumbled, pushing Izuku's body upright. "You're going to be okay, right? Him too?"

"Y-Yeah," Izuku panted. "We'll be alright. I just- I need to give his quirk back." His distorted breathing didn't stop as his shaking fingers were laid just above his chest. Just give the quirk back, and Shoto would be back to normal.

He closed his eyes, feeling power surge in his fingertips. Then he yanked, painfully pulling the quirk out of his body. The glowing ball of blue and orange zapped all the energy out of him, and Izuku fell to the floor once more.

But with his remaining energy, Izuku guided the ball to Shoto. It was absorbed in his skin, cleanly and softly. Izuku let his arm drop, panting harder.

"No, get up!" Kota cried, grabbing onto the greenette's arm. "You can make it, right? Yo-You're gonna go home. C'mon, get up... get up..." He pulled weakly.

"I'll be... I'll be fine," Izuku smiled softly, before breaking out into fit of coughs. "Yeah... I'll be fine. Just like Shoto. He'll be fine.. he'll be fine." He dragged himself over to Shoto's body. Color was returning to the student's body. He gasped in relief. 

He used it. He used his quirk, and Shoto didn't die. He used it... for the first time in so many years. He couldn't celebrate for long, though. If the rest of the LOV was really there, then nobody was safe. 

Izuku punched the ground with energy he didn't have. Out of all the ways to reunite with his family, why this way?

He turned to Kota, the alive, alive, but traumatized boy. "Hey... Kota, what's happening out there? Tell me, please."

Kota nodded silently, turning around and peering over the bushes that concealed them from camp. All Izuku could see over those dark leaves was a brilliant, burning yellow light from the building windows. He could hear yelling though. Lots and lots of yelling.

"T-They're fighting," Kota said. "Um... your blonde friend is wrapped in your teacher's scarf. And... the brunette is angry... and the lighting one is also mad. The spiky-haired one is also yelling a lot."

"What?!" Izuku exclaimed. He sat upright, steadying himself with his arms. He couldn't see over the tops of the bushes, though. What the hell was Aizawa doing?! "We need to get over there."

"Can you walk?" Kota asked, rushing back to Izuku's side. "Um... You look too tired. Do you need water? I can.. make water."

He opened Izuku's mouth and poured in some water from his fingertips. The cool liquid did wonders for his parched throat, and Izuku thanked Kota.

He looked back over the bushes. Aizawa was doing something, and Izuku needed to stop it. But he couldn't leave Shoto just lying there, so he shook the male gently.

"Shoto. Shoto, wake up," he whispered. "We're out. Muscular is behind. I've returned your quirk. You can wake up now. Come on, Shoto, wake up."

Shoto stirred, but did not open his eyes.