Chapter 23- Just Like The Movies

—————

"We're going to get expelled."

"Yeah... I'm all up for saving Mido and Toga, but we're probably going to get thrown in jail along with them! I mean, Monoma's already in trouble. He's totally gonna get expelled if he-"

"Of course you think that. I'm not gonna get caught. All the 1-A students have so little faith in us 1-B students, because you're so much-"

"Will you shut up about that for half a second?! I don't wanna hear you complaining ever again, lunatic!"

"Quiet, we're going to get caught."

"Don't tell me what to do, Icy Hot!"

"Don't worry guys, that's not gonna happen. Monoma, you said it was... ten minutes? That should be plenty of time."

"Wait, who's the bait again?"

"Me, idiot!"

"Okay, got it! By the way, if something does go awry, how the heck are you gonna get out, Monoma?"

"I was stocking up on quirks. If Blasty's quirk over here is strong enough, I should be able to blow a hole in the wall."

"...Coolio."

"What do you mean if? Of course my damn quirk is strong eno-"

"Shush. We're here."

——

It had been a frustrating few days.

While they were no longer sleeping on a metal bench, and instead in a cell with semi-comfortable mattresses, Izuku and Himiko were still gloomy.

 Himiko couldn't stop wondering about Neito, couldn't stop thinking of Dabi, even thought about poking fun at Aizawa again like she used to.

Izuku couldn't shake the feeling of betrayal, from both Aizawa and Nezu. Where were the words of comfort he wanted to hear?

They seemed so cold. Did he romanticize everything too much? He thought Aizawa was pretty cool... he knew the teacher was pretty annoyed with him sometimes, but he was like that with everyone, wasn't he?

And he knew that the world was cruel sometimes. He knew that better than most. But his life was getting better.

Izuku didn't want to accept that they could just turn their backs on him, like they could just act like he didn't play chess with Nezu or he didn't admire Eraserhead. Like he or Toga didn't create so many friends that they genuinely enjoyed spending time with.

Perhaps Dabi didn't share the same feelings they did. And Izuku hoped that Dabi was okay, wherever he was.

But Izuku knew he wanted to leave.

He wanted to leave, and wasn't okay with staying. Every new interview Tsukauchi had with him, he asked to leave. At the shake of the detective's head, he only persisted more.

And at the end of the day, Izuku would fall onto his bed and he and Himiko would talk for hours on who they wanted to see again.

Izuku could name a few off of the top of his head. Dabi, his brother. Denki, his best friend with the greatest smile. Kota, Ochaco, Kyouka, and Shoto. God, he missed Shoto. He wanted to see him so badly it hurt.

He'd mulled over using his quirk so many times, and when he'd felt the pure rush of Shoto's quirk mixed with his adrenaline, he'd felt powerful.

When the empty hours of waiting in the cell felt like too much, Izuku found himself craving that power again, seeing Shoto again.