Chapter 21- Waiting A Century

—————

Izuku sat in his holding cell's bench, head in his hands, elbows on his thighs. He heard Himiko in front of him, pacing back and forth on the gray floor. He didn't cry. He was thinking.

Dabi was gone, who knew if Shoto was recovering, Aizawa and the teachers all betrayed (were they ever on his side, or were they waiting for a slip-up like this to happen?) him, and Izuku missed Ochaco and Denki and everybody who defended him, everyone who considered him a real friend.

He felt terrible for Himiko, who had been rejected for so long in the school, and just when she'd fit in she was taken away.

And Dabi, he wasn't even there. Was Dabi dead or alive? Did they find him? Izuku was terrified.

Himiko had had enough of her pacing and starting banging on the bars of the cell. Izuku, scared that the guards would grow angry, got up and started coaxing her to calm down, despite his own wanting to curse them as well.

"We'll be okay," he whispered, as they sat down on the bench. Himiko had both legs up, hugging her knees to her chest. Izuku kept his feet on the floor. "We'll be okay." The words sounded strange in his mouth.

"What about Dabi?" Himiko stared at her feet with cold eyes. "I want him to be okay."

Izuku bit his lip. "I... hope so too."

"There's no way Dabi got hurt from the League," Himiko told herself. "We're family!"

Families protect each other. They don't fight each other. But villains and heroes don't mix either.

"Did you fight against the League?" Izuku asked. "From what Kaminari said, you were protecting our class."

"I didn't fight," Himiko said. "I was tryna get them to stop fighting! But then things started getting more icky, and when the Magne and Spinner left, that's when Aizawa tied me up. that's not how I wanted to meet them again!"

Izuku hesitantly held his arm out, before putting his hand on Himiko's leg. "What did they want?"

"For you and me," She paused, then added, "and Dabi to go back home. But... I like hanging out with Ura-chan and Iida... and maybe Tsu. I didn't want to go home yet."

"I know that feeling," Izuku admitted. He pulled his hand away, and interlocked his fingers together on his lap. "The life at school was unfamiliar. It was hard getting used to, and yet... I like it much better than being back in the bar. Is it bad that I like that?"

Himiko looked up.

"I like being away from my dad. I'm sure you know that too, but the others... do I miss them?" Izuku's voice rose. "Am I bad for being happy here? Is it bad that I got a second chance they didn't? It is bad that- that it was me? Someone who... never treated them right? "

There was silence. Izuku shut his eyes. 

Then, Himiko said, "I don't know, Izu-kun," she said seriously. "Is it worse that they never hated you?"

"Probably," Izuku said. "Wasn't I exactly like their previous abusers? Like yours?"

"Hey, Izu-kun," Himiko nudged him with her shoe. "The others would be screaming if they found you saying this." She chirped a small laugh.

"Please answer the question." Izuku said.

Himiko shrugged. "You aren't like my parents. You didn't shame Magne or Spinner. I don't think you were anything like our previous abusers."

"And yet I still-"

"Izu-kun, I'm not gonna say you treated us 'correctly' or anything," Himiko said. "but out of all of us, you're the one who's seen the least of the world."

"Uh-" She wasn't wrong. "What does... that have to do with anything?"

"None of us are mad at you because we're the ones that did this to you," Himiko explained. "I know someone as cute as you wouldn't yell at us if Shiggy and Dabi weren't yelling at each other all the time!"

"And then... I was the one always yelling at them to calm down," Izuku inhaled, remembering all the headaches he had gotten from the two. "But still, that doesn't make it right, does it?"

"I dunno," Himiko said, now bobbing back and forth on the bench. "But I don't think you were any worse than the rest of us!"

"That's..." Izuku sighed. "Now that I've seen what the rest of the world looks like, I've realized that's not a good thing..."

"Silly Izu-kun!~" Himiko giggled. "Anything's a good thing if you make it one!"

Despite the extremely obvious flaws in that statement, Izuku chose not to argue, and instead, he laid down on the hard bench and said, "Thanks, Himiko. I won't say that made me feel better, with all of the League problems, but thanks for trying."

"No problem, Izu-kun!~" Himiko said. "Just remember, everyone in the League loves each other!"

"Even Tomura and Dabi..." Izuku smiled. "I wonder how Tomura is doing right now." He suddenly frowned. "Wait, he just planned an attack against U.A. Should I be mad at him?"

Himiko laid down on the bench. "Hmm... I've decided that Crusty no longer exists! Good night, Izu-kun!"

"Crusty..." Izuku repeated. "Seriously?"

Himiko let out an obnoxiously loud snore, and Izuku sighed. It didn't stop his lip from perking upward just a little bit.

He was captured, locked in jail, away from the life he had just gotten used to. But seeing Himiko sleeping there, knowing he was safe, made him feel better. He hoped Dabi was alright as well.

—————

888 words

A/N- soooooooo 0>0

there's a chance i won't be able to get the next chapter out on time cuz i'm gonna be busy with my school's theater club.

so if i don't update then you'll know why.