Chapter 34- Get Back!!

—————

Relief flooded Izuku's body instantly at the prospect of being saved, so much that he felt his legs collapse beneath him like snapped pieces of hay. His hands hit the cold murky ground, arms barely holding up his oddly hollow body.

But he was also scared for Dabi. He hadn't heard his answer yet, and free will was starting become an illusion.

(Was it always an illusion?)

Izuku let his eyes close and let the wind scream in his ears. All the pressure he felt came crashing down on him.

What was he going to do? Especially in the face of the entirety of Japan?

He was just so, so tired—enough that he could barely hold his body up. He was straining himself just from staying awake. He suffered against cold blanketing his skin like a sheet of ice, and the hollowness he felt in his chest that struggled to retain air.

He wanted to close his eyes and let the pain fade away. He'd blink and everything would be over; they would be right back at U.A, healing in Recovery Girl's office, no danger at all in sight.

It was a lovely vision, but only a vision. In the tiring reality, he felt a hand shaking his back. It soon turned into a slap, knocking him into the ground and soaking his arms in wet sludge.

"Izu-kun," a voice whispered in his ear. "Don't fall asleep just yet. What about Dabi's answer, and all the heroes out there too?"

At the sound of Himiko's voice, Izuku grinded his teeth together, craning his neck up. The dryness in his eyes stung, but he continued watching the blows erupt between All Might and All For One.

The other heroes felt tiny, insignificant against the two giants of the criminal and hero world. Nonetheless, Izuku still saw them.

And they scared him.

As Himiko and Dabi started pulling a limp Izuku up, he feared that their quirks would be stolen.

The heroes were hesitant to get in the way of All Might and All For One, as their battle seemed way out of their league. Getting in the way could mean either hindering the hero's side or getting destroyed themselves.

Still, they were necessary back up. Izuku knew that even though One For All was still burning strong in All Might, another injury would be the death of him. Literally.

But fear still ran rampant through Izuku. There was so much to worry about. He still hadn't heard Dabi's answer yet either.

He leaned his palm against Dabi's chest. Izuku pleaded, "Just for now, don't try to leave. Please, there's too much."

"I know that," Dabi said, wrapping his fingers over Izuku's hands. "But god, it's just been a never ending whirlpool of turmoil, hasn't it?" 

Energy curled in the fist of All Might, and with a final strike there blew a shockwave that collided with All For One, concluding the entrance of the heroes.

The two stood at a stalemate, hatred seeping into the very air. Even the wind itself seemed to die down after the shockwave.

"Finally arrived?" All For One said, dusting off his clothes. "You're a few minutes late to the party."

"A party," All Might scowled.  Izuku watched his silhouette lift an arm. "Surrender now, All For One, and we might go easy on you. We will not let you use the LOV as hostages. If you do not give yourself up, then be prepared to be thrown into the deepest pits of Tartarus."

'He should be thrown down there anyways.' Izuku thought.

"Let's flip that around. I think it should be you who is threatened," All For One replied, playing with flicking energy in his palm. "If you die here, then it's over for you. You have no successor, no hope; only a legacy that'll disappear before you know it."