Chapter 24- His Quirk

A/N- hello there. i disappeared for quite a while, i know. i'm sorry about that. i might have an irregular update schedule while i get back into the swing of things.

i'm kinda feeling burnt out. it's almost summer break for me, so i'll try to be on track by then. thanks for understanding <3

but anyways, enjoy a 3.7k long chapter lmao.

—————

He wasn't quite aware of the words that left his mouth.

He knew that he felt dizzy, a throbbing headache present. He knew he was sweating, and hot even though cold air was blowing from behind.

He remembered watching his cousin getting dragged away, with some sort of sick satisfaction churning in his stomach. There was that stretched, thin fake smile on his face. He wanted to throw up.

A part of him didn't like the sight of his cousin getting taken away. The other remembered all the fake condolences from his family, saying she abandoned him, and that he should resent her for it.

He hated his family.

So why did he believe them?

His cousin was leaving again. He just watched.

What was he to do? Save her?

Why?

He'd already treated her terribly before, what point was there in changing?

Then, he heard a shout— no, roar from Katsuki. It shocked Neito when he realized the ash-blond was talking to him.

"Hey, you!" he was shouting. His eyes almost seemed to glow with anger. "That's your cousin or whatever, right?! What's wrong with you?! You're gonna let her get taken away without a fight?! And the rest of you cowards!"

Then, to Neito, everything felt cold.

What did that 1-A member think he was saying? He didn't know anything, all the nights he spent crying over Himiko leaving, then realizing she was never coming back.

...Until...

...She did come back.

Without thinking, Neito reached out and grabbed Himiko's hand. 

Everything stilled.

Aizawa's red eyes flared, and Neito froze. 

What was he doing?

He tried not to let his hands shake. As he knew he'd likely be dragged off if he hung on for even a few more seconds, he decided to say the truth.

"You left me all alone back there, with that wretched family. I looked for you everywhere, and I couldn't find you. I'll never forgive you for that. But at least now, I'll know where you'll be."

'I hate you, because I missed you. I missed you so much and you didn't even know it. What makes you think you can come back into my life acting like nothing was wrong?' he thought. 'But... it wouldn't make me happier to see you taken away from me again. I don't want to be stuck in a loop of unhappiness like I already am.'

Aizawa's eyes dimmed, and at that moment, Neito decided to copy Himiko's quirk. He wasn't sure why. Did he actually think he had a chance of freeing Himiko?

Absolutely not, but it didn't stop the itch under his skin that wanted to go after her.

——

Classes were cancelled the following day. And the day after, and the day after.