16.... Curious.

I'm on my way to the cafe;I just left college. I feel so tired. I yawn as I drive through these mad streets.
I spot Nathan's car from a distance,and I just sigh.

I don't even wanna remember anything relating to him right now.

When I get into the cafe,my boss is surprisingly beside the counter, talking to Kate.

I offer her a smile as I walk to the back door to change and wear my apron.

When I'm out,I begin making coffees as orders spring in,
Kate has also offered to assist me.

Reyes walks in with a smile,and I can't help but smile wider.

"Someone's smiling today" I say to her and she chuckles.

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asks

"That you barely smile" I reply bluntly but jokingly.

She chuckles
"I'll have my usual" she says and walks to her seat.

*,*,*,
"I don't understand the kind of mood shift you had,I mean. You looked fine all day" I say to her and she sighs, picking up a stone and throwing it into the lake ahead.

"Well,things aren't going well for me" Reyes replies

"I'm so sorry. Can I help in any way?" I ask

"Oh," she laughs. "No Jessy. Thank you"

"Honestly," I sigh. "I need help too. I'm going through a lot back at home"

She looks like she just realized something and she fully faces me.
"Where's Nathan? He didn't come today. Kate told me something but I didn't believe an inch"

"Well,I think it's better to believe whatever she told you" I say as I sigh.

"Were you two like.... Dating?" She asks

"No,but I could sense we were close" I say and she pats my back.

"I'm sorry" she says and I smile at her. She's so adorable when she isn't sad.

She takes a deep breath before talking.

"My dad is making arrangements to move," she starts and I notice her mood shift. "He wants to sell the present house and move there with his kids"

"Aren't you also his kid?" I ask

"I'm adopted"

"Oh" I say with a nod.

"But I'm not moving with them. I'm gonna stay at his friend's house to help his wife who might be putting to bed around the time he's moving," she sniffles. "So technically,I'm gonna be the help in that house,and he said I'm gonna spend at least a year there,and it's still not guaranteed. He may decide to prolong the time"

"That's horrible"

"My plans for college are gonna be ruined. I've been writing applications to colleges,but if I'm gonna be stuck as the help in a house,how am I gonna focus on my education? He might not even let me go to college" she adds

"I'm so sorry,Reyes" I say as I hug her

"It's okay," she smiles and I can tell her eyes are teary. "I'll survive it"

I persuade her to let me get her some ice cream. When we do,I drive her to her house. She gets down from the car with a smile and a thank you.

I smile back as I wait for her to go in. When I see her do,I drive home.

Mom is sitting in the living room just staring at the television which isn't even on. This gets my curious,and I walk up to her.

I'm surprised the sound of the door shutting doesn't move her.

"Mommy" I say calmly.

I know she's thinking about something.

She looks at me,and I see her eyes water.

"No, don't cry," I whisper. "I told you we'll be fine" I assure her.

"You keep saying that,Jessy. You're just a young adult,I can't keep depending on you," she sniffles. "I'm not cripple,I'm not bed ridden so why do I have to keep depending on you.. I feel so useless"

"You have to keep depending on me because it is my duty to take care of you," I sigh. "Do you think it's easy doing all of this,mum? No, it's not but I'm doing it for you. I'm doing it to give you what and all you deserve. Dad definitely wouldn't be happy if you're not happy,so why not just let me take care of all this" I reply

"I'm just tired of all of this" mom whispers and I smile at her.

"Don't be. I'm here for you"

She looks at me and sniffles

"Alright," I gently pat her back. "Let's get you to bed"

We get upstairs and I make sure she's asleep before leaving her room. She lets a light snore and I chuckle.

I kiss her forehead before leaving her room.

_____*_____*_____*
The next morning,I'm awoken by some commotion coming from downstairs. I hear voices downstairs and out of curiosity,I decide to see what's going on.

I wear a big t-shirt that is almost at my knee and I rinse my mouth before rushing downstairs. I stop at the staircase before I decide to go to the living room.

"Look,I'm the only one my daughter has. You can't do this to us" mom whispers as I grow curious.

"I'm sorry ma'am,but it's the law" a deep voice says

Thanks for reading guyssss. Hope you loved it.
I'm sorry it's short🥺

Love:Melanin3000💜💙