17.. you've gotta be kidding me.

I decide to wait a little before descending from the stairs.
"It's our job, ma'am" the man repeats

"But we don't have anywhere to go" mom laments as a whisper.

When I finally descend,mom looks shocked,but she says nothing.

"Good morning mom" I say

"Morning,Jessy" she replies

"You have ten minutes to pack at most a box of valuables each. I'll be back with the truck" the man says and walks out of the already open door.

"Okay,what on earth just happened?" I ask

Mom holds both of my hands and looks at me. Tears are already slipping out of her eyes.

"Jessy,you just need to comply with what he just said. We don't have much time" mom says

"But I need an expla-" I say when mom cuts in

"I think you heard me!" Mom yells and walks away and up the stairs.

I don't have a choice.

If I recall,he said a box.

So,I pack some clothes,a pair of shoes,some of my books and my laptop. I slip my phone into my back pocket.
There is so much more to pack but they can't fit in a box.

So many memories,there isn't enough time. I have so many valuables in here,I can't just-

The swinging open of the door snaps me away from my thoughts.

"You have to leave now or else legal action will be taken against you" the man says

"What did I do?" I ask

"Just go downstairs. Your mom is waiting"

I walk downstairs with my box,and I find mom standing there with a very tired look.

Another man who is more professionally dressed than the other notices my presence and says a brief 'oh'.

"Well,since everyone has evacuated," the man slips out a paper from the big brown envelope in his hands. "I would like to inform you that this property you are standing on is no longer yours," he hands mom the paper. "You have no right to claim it. It is now the property of the government and if you try to act stubborn by trespassing then you would have to face the law"

I watch them rough handle our stuff out of the house. Mom tries to struggle with them to hand her some of dad's stuff but they won't even act like she's there.

About a whole hour later,they are done clearing all our stuff out of the house. The house is practically empty right now.

I've only seen this in movies but it's happening to me. It's freaking happening to me.

They drive off and inform mom that we can't sleep there tonight.

"What happened mom?" I ask her as she sits on the floor in front of the front door with her legs crossed.

She coughs before answering me.
"Your dad.." she starts off and the tears fall out of her eyes again. "He took a mortgage with a bank. He didn't tell me,and I saw the date he took the loan. It was a few days before he traveled. He probably planned to settle the loan after his trip. Now that he hasn't been able to pay up, they've taken the house and all our stuff"

"So we're homeless"

"Yes,Jessy" mom replies and I feel so angry.

It hurts so much,it hurts because we recently got robbed and I know what it took us to replace everything. Some haven't even been used.