Again

Xavier's POV

Today was supposed to be perfect. Today was the day I would see Erica walking down the aisle in her beautiful wedding dress; today was the day we were supposed to say our vows in front of our loved ones, today was the day I got to kiss her and today was the day that I could begin calling Erica my wife.

But that was all a dream because nothing of that sort happened. There was no wedding, there was no Erica walking down the aisle in her beautiful dress and there was no perfect kiss. Instead, she is lying there on the bed in ICU. Doctors have been inside for about 2 hours, they come in and come out of those blue doors without so much as muttering to us about her health. Nothing is confirmed.

They say she has lost a lot of blood and that she has a bleak chance of surviving. They say she's too weak to make it through, they say she's serious and there's very little hope. But I know Erica, she is a fighter, it is just the case of waiting for her to open her eyes.

Everyone is here praying, they're trying to console me, telling me she'll be fine, she'll make it through. But I can see the look on their distressed faces, they say one thing but I know they have no hope. Their eyes know the truth. Everyone knows it's almost impossible for her to make it out of this situation because she has lost too much of blood.

But, what about me? I'm devastated, just clinging to the hope that she will come back to me. My heart crumbles with each second that passes with her, not by my side. She told me she loved me, she promised she wouldn't leave me alone and yet here she is leaving me and her loved ones. Drifting away just like Sapphire moved away from me. I should have known better.

I've been sitting on the same spot for hours now. Every second that passes by is a second closer to the looming possibility of bad news and it terrifies me. I'm not ready for it. How can you be ready for the doctor to come with his blue cap scrunched in his hands as he comes bearing sad news? You can't and I won't.

People say we have to pay for our sins but what sin could I have committed for the life of someone I love to be taken away. Sapphire was taken away when I was going to propose her, Erica is being taken away on the day of our wedding. What could I have possibly done?

Prayers? They don't work. They never work. I pleaded and pleaded for Sapphire to be saved. Did it work? No, it didn't. I scoffed at my foolishness, but it doesn't stop me from praying for Erica's life to be saved. What else could I have done? Because if this time something bad happens to Erica I won't be able to live, and I'm sure of it. There is only so much I can take.

ERICA'S POV

"Erica?" I heard a soft female voice. ''Erica wake up.'' I stirred in my sleep, not wanting to be awoken because this bed was so comfortable. Wait, my bed is not comfortable.

I snapped open my eyes, "Mhmm.." regretting my decision. A bright light pierced my eyes, burning them. I closed my eyes to soothe the pain. I heard the same female voice giggle. This time, I opened my eyes slowly allowing them to adjust to my surroundings.

All I could see was white. There was no colour to be seen besides white and it puzzled me. What the hell is this place?

"Too bright isn't it?" I heard the same voice speak. I turned my head towards the direction of the voice only to see a figure.

An angel? Oh god, she was beautiful..

But it couldn't have been. She didn't have a pair of wings or a wand, but she was breathtakingly beautiful. I realized that she was sitting on my bed and I felt frightened.

Licking my chapped lips, I spoke, "Who...are you..?" My voice resembled that of a rough dry growl in comparison with her soft angelic voice.

She smiled at me, "I'm Sapphire. Sapphire Diaz."