Whoops.

"Uh... Mom I was..." My mind had gone blank and I couldn't think of anything. Telling her the truth is out of the question. How can I tell her the truth about her daughter getting drunk and making a little scene, and, of course, breaking her relation with her sister? But I have no choice.

"Erica Dixon, I'm waiting," She said, tapping her foot impatiently on the floor, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Mom I was with Alisha...she took me to a party," I said looking down at my feet in shame.

"Why didn't you tell me? Let alone leave a note? I was getting worried. Since when did you start sneaking out? I raised you better than this." She huffed but I could sense the sadness. She sat on the couch turning on the side lamp.

"Mom I'm sorry I know I shouldn't have gone without telling you, but then again if I told you, you wouldn't let me go out." I reasoned. I hated how the way you were when you were younger would follow you for the rest of your life. Yes, I never used to sneak out because I never had any reason to. But, I will change and she needs to accept that. In fact I have changed, I am becoming more independent.  

"That's because I don't want you to end up like Sophia. Pregnant and jobless and with a bad reputation.'' She slowly whispered like it was a sin to say that sort of stuff.

"Mom, I know you worry about me being pregnant and stuff but trust me, I'd never let any of that happen. I promise. Trust me." I start next to her on the couch. I hated how parents say they trust you, but when it comes to exercising that trust, they shut you down. When you begin tasting independence, they smother you. They say they trust you but they never waste an opportunity to criticize it. Some days I just go through the motions, other days I retaliate but even then to an extent.

"I know, I trust you but I don't want you to get hurt like Soph. You know what she went through, my baby was pregnant and she couldn't even tell anyone about the real dad cause then he would've destroyed her life and the baby." She spoke with grief and regret in her voice. The grief that she had to go through at such a young age, and regret because she couldn't do anything to help her.

"I don't know mom, I don't think Sophia was the poor baby in this situation." I huffed. I don't know why, but thinking about Sophia and her lie, it's making me angry.

"What do you mean?" She asked like I've offended her and boy could she have been more wrong.

I took a deep breath. I know what I'm going to say will change a lot of things, and maybe our family will never be the same. But my mother needs to know about the truth.

"Mom, Sophia lied to us." I breathed in.

"Xavier is not the father of her child. All these years, she made us hate a person she didn't even know, let alone meet. It was Conner. Conner all along." I looked down feeling ashamed that she could have done something like this.

My mother didn't say anything. She was stunned, her eyes wide, mouth open and shoulders stiff.

I know how she was feeling.

Betrayed.

Hurt.

Maybe angry with herself?

Just like I felt.

For many of the people here, it's just a small lie. A lie that doesn't need to be brought up over and over again. But not in our family. Lying was a big thing, well that's what my dad did to my mother after she found her cheating on her with her sister. Her real sister. Since then my mother hated liars. I know Sophia lied every now and then but not to us. Never to us. My mom hates liars to an extent because according to her if a lie is said for someone's benefit, it's a good lie. Still a lie, but not a harmful one. For my mom, seeing your partner making love to someone else in your family ... It's just not the best thing. And she did forgive dad because she loved him, but he had other plans. He stayed with mom, then one day left her. My mom was labelled as divorced and broke with two daughters, whose husband married her sister. But not for long, because he died in a car accident leaving all his money to my mother's sister and nothing for us. It felt like we had meant nothing to him. So mom had to work her ass off to at least bring 3 decent meals for us every day. So finally, she took job after job, day after day. Within 2 years, we were quite stable and content with our little family. That was until Sophia decided to become the rebellious one and started ignoring us for everyone. Well, mostly parties and drugs. We didn't mind, because she was family. But now it is over.