The Unbelievable Truth

Chapter 12 - The Unbelievable Truth

Yesterday was a failure. A prime example of why I should certainly have never accepted this job proposal in the first place. Wait a second, I should never have even have started talking to him in the first place. 

I was tired these days. Exhausted because of our endless arguments and time and time again he would always upset me with what he said. Constant belittling and snide comments made me snap even when I tried my best not to. Sometimes, it is like working with a robot. Of course it is my job; ‘Erica, get those files’ or ‘Erica, plan this meeting’ but a conversation about anything, the formalities and just being nice. I guess the less I see of him, the better. 

Ron and Liz tried to offer some consolation. After my first day they took me to Starbucks, allowing me to de-stress and vent about Xavier whilst stuffing my face with coffee cake and hot chocolate. I was grateful to talk to them, actually having friends at work was amazing. I must admit, I was harsh on Liz at first but she acted weird in front of Xavier, showing her enviable figure and boobs to Xavier, yes I was jealous but in reality she is far from that. She is sweet and intelligent and surprising myself, I enjoy spending time with her.

Today is a new day. I will try and make it better than the first - shall we. No drama, coffee.  

Strut. Forget that, one foot in front of the other would do without tripping up.  As I walked inside the office, I made my way straight to Liz.

“Errriiiicaaa!!” Liz screamed whilst pulling me into a tight hug, squeezing my ribs in the process. 

“Liz…zz.. I can’t …bre…ath,” I struggled to get out with a chuckle.

“Shit, sorry sweetheart but I have news. the latest and greatest news I’ve had i a while!” She said with so much enthusiasm, I honestly thought we were all getting raises but unfortunately not, instead her eyes were glazed with delight.

“No, tell me!” I said, still trying to catch my breath.

“The boss has taken his first day off ever. Ever,” she yelled in my ear not pausing for air.

“God Liz, stop shouting,” I said with a laugh. “First, you diminish my air supply and now you want me deaf! So what if he has taken holiday? He must be ill or something, why are you so excited about it?? I brushed her off but I must admit I was quite glad that I could have a day without Xavier, 

“Girl, get your ears checked. I said, he took his first day off, he never, ever does that!” She gripped my arms and brought me closer to her. “Like ever,” she emphasised.

“So what Liz?” I mumbled with frustration and annoyance. He would come back to murder me if I didn’t get the work he had probably let me finished. 

“Okay, you are slower and dumber that I thought, come here,” she motioned for me to come closer and I had no option but to oblige even though I could her quite clearly.

“Let me put it this way, our pretty hot boss has taken a day off from work for the first time in seven years. Seven whole years. Interested now?” She said with a smirk on her face.

“What? Is he that hardworking?” I said shocked, to say the least. He was a robot that never gave up and I respected that in him, so to take the ay off was kind of strange. 

“You bet! She said with a wink. But then she was off again, rattling on about the other piece of gossip about her manager, Sam, who was apparently having a serious affair with his secretary. Even thought he is married. It disgusted me to say the least but I refused to comment on it, it was their decision to fuck their lives and their families lives up. The damage was already done.