ーthirty nine : fragments

"Brimstone is looking for you."

A voice suddenly spoke which caused you to jump up. You turned around to see who the person was... And it was not a person. "Oh god, KAY/O.  you scared me. You can't just come in and scare me like that!" Sighing in relief, you put back the damaged pictures inside the box and put it away.

"I... Apologize. I was calling you from outside but there was no answer." KAY/O looked pretty disappointed in his self but you comforted him, saying that it's alright. "Anyway. Brimstone's calling me, yes?" He nods yes and leaves your room after apologizing for the third time.

You chuckled at his silliness and made your way to Brimstone's office. No one had to struggle to find him since Brimstone is always in his office doing paperwork and thinking about plans for the missions. Poor guy deserves a really long break for always looking out for his teammates and protecting them.

You arrived in front of Brimstone's office and knocked three times. He let you in and there he was, sitting on his spinning chair as usual. Hands holding papers that you don't understand. He looked at you and sighed. "(Y/n). We need you in a mission tomorrow." He looked very worried. "You've recovered already, right? I don't want to put you in the battlefield if you're still unable to fight."

Slightly confused with his worried behaviour, you answered. "Yes sir, I've recovered." He hummed and gave you a folder and told you to read it when you return to your room. "I'll be sending you to a mission along with Sage and her team tomorrow. Ready yourself."

Back at your room, you immediately looked at the contents that were inside the folder. One of the papers included Viper's letter to Brimstone.

'Kingdom plans to take radiante from Japan tomorrow night. We need the best combat agents and Sage for this mission. Don't fail me now, Brim. I won't be going myself  since I'll be in my lab researching about something.'

Kingdom? They're still taking radiante? I thought they were still fighting with Fine? You furrowed your brows and shivered at the thought of fighting Kingdom face to face. Sure, the agents there were kind to you but what if those were just acting? You sighed and put away the documents. I guess I have to meet Sage today for the mission.

"Sage? Are you here?" You peeked your head inside Sage's room. The door was open so you thought she was in. "If you're looking for Sage, she's at the conference room... With Chamber's kid and the others." Sova suddenly appeared behind you which made you panic.

"Geez! What's with everyone scaring me today... But anyway, thanks Sova."  You waved goodbye to him and started to walk your way towards the conference room which was quite far from where you were right now.

On the way, you met Jett. She said she wanted to hang out with you tonight but you politely (and sadly) declined her offer because you'll be spending the night with Sage and the others today.

Finally arriving in the conference room, only a few people were in there. Sage, Yoru, Sova, and Soleil. Wait, wasn't Sova just... What? "Oh, you're here." Sova greeted you with a small smug smile. "Guess I beat you here, huh?" He chuckled and took a sip of his coffee while scanning the papers he was holding. Rolling yours eyes, you sat down next to Yoru, who was half-asleep staring at the ceiling.

"Welcome, (Y/n). Now that the team is complete, we can start the planning now." Sage clapped her hands together to get everyone's attention. "One question, Miss Healer. Why is that child here?" Yoru finally woke up from his daydream and of course as always, he wakes up choosing to be mean to everyone. "She is here because we need her abilities, Yoru. Don't underestimate her skills." Sage rolled her eyes and proceeded to write on the whiteboard.

"We will be going to be stealthy here, alright? Yoru, we need your distractions so that they won't know where we are. You will be dispatched away from us so you better do your job properly." Sage took a deep breath before continuing. "Me and Sova will be together watching this site while (Y/n) and Soleil will watch the other. Don't worry, (Y/n). Sol is good with her abilities."

You carefully listened to Sage's every advice and plan since you didn't want to mess this up. For some reason, all of your missions seem to mess up every time. But this time, you won't fail them all like you did before. "Yeah, yeah. Sure. Now can I leave? I gotta go meet that annoying fire boy today." Yoru stood up from his seat and left the room without Sage's approval.

The poor sentinel shook her head and sighed. Sova pats her on her back and comforts her. There's really something going on between these two... You stared at them and looked away when you glanced at Soleil who was staring intensely at you. She whispered into your ear: "Do you think they're dating?"

You immediately moved away from her which startled Sage and Sova. "Is there something wrong, (Y/n)?" Sage worriedly asks. "No! No... No, Sage. It's just thatー" "I need to pee!" Soleil and interrupted you and grinned. "So the meeting is over now, right? Let's go, (Y/n)!" She pulls your arm and made you stand up your chair. You waved goodbye at Sage who was now left alone with Sova in the room.

Soleil just kept running while holding your arm. You didn't know where the both of you were going but you just went on with her. She brings you to a small room that looked like a library. There were shelves everywhere and most were very dusty. Soleil lets go of your arm and runs to a certain bookshelf to grab a book.

She gives you the book and you gasped at the contents. It wasn't a book nor a diary. It was an old photo album. So many pictures of a younger you were in the album. But why? Why does Soleil have it?

"How do you have these?" You asked her. "You could say I know the owner of that album..." She whispered. "Your eyes in this picture." She pointed at a picture which had you, the boy and the old woman in your memories. "What about my eyes there?" "They look sad." "They do?" "Yep."

You picked up the photo and took your phone out. You snapped a picture of it and gave the photo back to Soleil. She puts the photo album back where she got it. "Why did you show me those?" Curious, you asked the kid.

"Because I felt like you needed to see it! I was wondering why you looked so familiar..." She gave a thumbs up and sat on the chair beside the bookshelf. "I forgot to introduce myself properly!" Soleil picked up the book on the table and acted like a noble. The both of you giggled.

"My name is Soleil Novikova... Even though my first name is French, I'm actually Russian." She introduced herself. "But aren't you Chamber's niece? And he's French?" You asked but the girl shook her head. "No! We're just friends. He found me inside the orphanage and took care of me so he's like my uncle to me now." 

"Novikova...? Isn't that Sova's last name?" "He's my... Honestly I don't know." Soleil cackled and held her stomach. "Okay, it's getting late now, I have to go back to my room or else Sage will get mad at me. See you tomorrow, big sister (Y/n)!" She stood up from her seat and exited the dusty room. Since you too had no more business inside the room, you decided to go back to your room also. 

Aamir 👽

Good luck on your mission tomorrow.
Stay safe.

thanks aamir <3
good night sleep well

Good night, (Y/n).

[Message Deleted]

whatt??? i didnt see

Oh it was nothing, don't worry.

ohh alr thenn