Chapter 40 : The People We Leave Behind

When you're reading this letter, I'm probably leaving Filimon Heights. I'm sorry that I'm too much of a coward to talk to you in person. The truth is, I'm too afraid that we'll end up screaming at each other again, and I won't be able to speak my truth because, for sure, I'll be crying the entire time.

Thank you, Sawyer. Thank you for being good to me ever since we were kids, for always taking my side and making me smile, for not telling anyone that I accidentally scratched Ate Reika's Grandfather's car, and for being my brother every time I felt like I didn't have one.

Looking back at how we were and seeing how we are now, all I can say is that I'm sorry.

I know words aren't enough to fix everything I've ruined, but please know that I am truly sorry for the pain I've caused you.

Ever since I learned about what I've done to you and Charity, I realized that I truly am the root of all this mess. Sana hindi kita hinalikan nang araw na 'yon. Sana hindi ako nagpadala sa peer pressure. Sana ginamit ko ang utak ko. Sana naging responsible ako sa kilos ko. Sana inisip ko muna ang kahihinatnan ng mga gagawin ko. Sana mas nanindigan ako para sa sarili ko. Sana inisip ko rin ang mangyayari sa 'yo—If I could just turn back time, I will do whatever it takes to prevent that kiss from happening. I'm sorry, Sawyer. I truly am. Sorry for ruining your relationship with Charity. Ako ang may kasalanan bakit umabot tayo sa ganito.

I thought time would fix everything that went wrong between us, but I was wrong. I feel like everything is just getting worse, and I'm scared that the bad memories will eventually blur the good ones. Before we get to that point, I would rather draw the line as early as now.

When you told me how you felt, I thought we could get way past it and continue being friends. I thought we could just simply move on like nothing happened, but that hasn't been the case. In fact, it feels like everything's just getting worse.

Every day, I find it harder to be comfortable around you. I know I'm in no position to resent you, but I am scared that I just might. I'm also scared that I might end up invalidating my hardships in an attempt to defend your actions.

I'm sorry for saying this, but I don't think I can stay friends with you anymore.

While you're still unable to let go, I will always find it hard to be around you.

I hope one day you'll wake up and realize that what you feel for me is no longer there. Maybe, you'll even look back at this moment and laugh, realizing that your feelings for me aren't even that serious.

I hope one day you'll meet someone who will make your heart flutter and make you realize what it truly means to love and be loved. I hope she will feel the same way, but just in case she rejects you, take it like a champ and prevent history from repeating itself.