~10~

Ghosts from the past

"you seem to feel better" Steve said as she walked into the living room the next morning wearing a smile, "I do feel better, those beds you have here are the best I've ever slept on" she said, the bed felt like a marshmallow compared to the bed she always used to sleep in at the red room. This bed was big enough so she wouldn't fall out by sleeping rough and her hand wasn't cuffed to the bed as it used to be.

Just a girl - No doubt

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes
I'm exposed, and it's no big surprise
Don't you think I know exactly where I stand?
This world is forcing me to hold your hand
-
'Cause I'm just a girl, oh, little old me
Well, don't let me out of your sight
Oh, I'm just a girl, all pretty and petite
So don't let me have any rights

Oh, I've had it up to here

The moment that I step outside
So many reasons for me to run and hide
I can't do the little things I hold so dear
'Cause it's all those little things that I fear

'Cause I'm just a girl, I'd rather not be
'Cause they won't let me drive late at night
Oh, I'm just a girl, guess I'm some kind of freak
'Cause they all sit and stare with their eyes
Oh, I'm just a girl, take a good look at me
Just your typical prototype
-
Oh, I've had it up to here
Oh, am I making myself clear?
-
I'm just a girl
I'm just a girl in the world
That's all that you'll let me be

Oh, I'm just a girl, living in captivity
Your rule of thumb makes me worrisome
Oh, I'm just a girl, what's my destiny?
What I've succumbed to is making me numb
Oh, I'm just a girl, my apologies
What I've become is so burdensome
Oh, I'm just a girl, lucky me
Twiddle-dum, there's no comparison

Oh, I've had it up to here

It was the best night of sleep since Natalia died.  "I'm glad you are feeling better, care to join me in the gym I'd like to give you some self-defense lessons," steve asked and Anya tried not to laugh because she obviously didn't need them instead she just agreed.

She followed steve into the gym she was already wearing joggers. "we'll start in the boxing rink alright?" steve asked and Anya nodded following him into the rink.

Steve took his place and Anya wanted to do it as well before reminding herself she was supposed to be a beginner. "set your right foot a bit forward and hold your hands up like this" he held his hands up and Anya mirrored his movements.

The door opened behind them and Anya saw two people enter from the corner of her eyes. One of them was tony and the other? Her eyes widened and she turned to look at the woman who looked a scary lot like Natalia. "rule number one never take your eyes off your opponent" steve said his fist reached out to show Anya he could hit her but her reflexes got the best of him. She caught his fist in hers and with a few twists, steve was laying on the ground.

"did she just floor captain America?" tony asked with a smirk. Steve looked up at her with wide eyes as he got back up. "Remind me of when we first met Tasha" tony said and nodded at the woman next to him who smiled at the memory.

Tony and the woman who looked like Natalia went into a side room looking at some new gear. The woman had taken Anya so off guard that she had to take a moment to think. She knew it couldn't possibly be Natalia, so every piece of hope, she threw away again. "how?" is the only thing Steve asked.