~14~

You are my mission

"GSW she lost at least a pint" Maria called inside "maybe two" Anya corrected. "let me take her" the man running to them said "she'll want to see him first," Maria said and Natasha looked up at Anya in confusion.

They followed maria into a room, Natasha and steve both gasped as they saw Nick fury laying in a hospital bed, alive. "about damn time" he said looking up and Anya sat Natasha back down.

They sat down on chairs around the bed as a doctor took care of Natasha's wounds. "Lacerated spinal Column, a cracked sternum, shattered collarbone, perforated liver, and one hell of a headache" Fury summed up.

"don't forget your collapsed lung" the doctor at Natasha's side commented. "let's not forget that, otherwise, I'm good" fury smirked.

"they cut you open, your heart stopped," Natasha said wondering how this worked. "tetrodotoxin B, slows the pulse to one beat a minute, banner developed it for stress, didn't work so great for him but we found a use for it" he explained.

"Why all the secrecy why not just tell us?" steve asked "any attempt on the director's life had to look successful," Maria said. "can't kill you if yah already dead" Nat let out a dry laugh. "you're all done," the doctor said stepping away.

They helped Fury out of the bed and they all sat around a desk filled with files trying to make a plan. "this man declined the Nobel peace prize, he said peace wasn't an achievement, it was a responsibility, see it's stuff like this that gives me trust issues" fury said dropping the picture of Pierce. "yeah well he also made me, and the winter soldier add that to your list of trust issue" Anya said sarcastically and Fury shot her a look. "I thought you were just steve's friend" Anya shook her head "I'm a widow x supersoldier project, and I'm more nat's friend" Anya said "girlfriend" Natasha corrected.

"this her?" Nick suddenly asked looking at Natasha and she nodded "well, I'm glad to have you here, you could be a great help" fury said nodding at her, apparently nat had talked about her to them.

"we have to stop the launch" Natasha noted. "I don't think the council is accepting my calls anymore" fury opened a box to reveal three chips.

"once the helicarriers reach 3000 feet, they'll triangulate with insight satellites, becoming fully weaponized" Maria showed them her laptop screen.

"we need to breach those carriers and replace their targeting blades with our own" Anya nodded looking at the animation on the screen. "one or two won't cut it, we need to link all three carriers for this to work"

"we have to assume everyone in there is HYDRA, we have to get past them, insert these server blades, and maybe just maybe salvage what's left" steve cut him off "we are not salvaging anything, we are not just taking down the carriers nick, we are taking down shield"

"shield had nothing to do with this!" "you gave me this mission so this is how it ends, shield has been compromised you said so yourself, Hydra grew right under your nose and nobody noticed" steve finalized.

"why do you think we are meeting in this cave? I noticed" Fury defended. "Shield hydra It all goes" Maria nodded "he is right" fury looked at her and then at Natalia who nodded as well. He looked at Anya who nodded as well wanting Hydra gone. He then looked at sam "don't look at me! I do what he does, just slower" he shrugged.

"well, looks like you're giving the orders now, captain"

"gear up" steve said and sam looked at him "you're gonna wear that?" Steve shook his head "if you're gonna fight you have to wear a uniform" and so the four of them got into the car and drove to the museum where steve stole his old suit.