~11~

why was fury in your apartment?

Steve didn't have a bad bone in his body and it showed. The man had a literal heart of gold. When they got back home after having grabbed dinner at a small restaurant, they ran into Steve's neighbor. "my machine broke down" she explained nodding at the basket filled with laundry. "good luck with your laundry" Anya nodded and the woman gave her a wary smile "by the way steve, I think you left your stereo on"

"oh right, thank you," steve said and she nodded going back downstairs, steve and Anya both looked at each other, they didn't even come near that stereo today. "follow me," steve said opening the door to the fire escape.

They climbed outside and went to one of his windows, Anya grabbed the small gun she kept behind my back and steve shot her a look "always got to be prepared you're welcome" Steve shook his head at that but opened his window nonetheless.

Steve climbed in first followed by Anya who had her gun up. Steve quickly grabbed his shield which was leaning against one of the bookshelves. He looked around the corner slowly before stepping out completely. "what are you doing?" Anya whisper yelled.

"I don't remember giving you a key?" steve said, there was a grunt heard and Anya looked around the corner as well, her gun still up.

"you really think I'd need one" the man said before shooting the black-haired girl a look. Steve nodded at her and she lowered the gun, she didn't know who this man was but apparently steve trusted him. "my wife kicked me out" the man said "didn't know you were married" steve answered still standing half behind the wall.

"a lot of things you don't know about me" the man said and Steve sighed going over to put on a lamp "I know nick that's the problem" Nick shook his head and turned the lamp back off, but both Anya and steve had already seen his wounds.

He typed something in on his phone before showing it to the two 'ears everywhere' the text read and Anya looked around trying to find anything out of the ordinary.

"I'm sorry I had to do this, but I had no other place to crash," Nick said loudly before showing his phone again 'shield compromised' what is shield?

"who else knows about your wife?" steve asked obviously meaning the attack with wife. "just my friends" he answered getting up but his phone said different 'just us'.

Suddenly guns were fired from outside directly at Nick who fell to the floor. Steve immediately held his shield up and Anya held up her gun again. Steve dragged Nick into the kitchen away from the window.

Steve was about to walk away but Nick stopped him, handing him a usb stick "don't trust Anyone" Nick got out before he went unconscious. The door was busted open and a female voice was heard "captain rogers?" steves neighbor from earlier walked in.

"captain rogers I'm agent 13 of shield special service" she said walking in "kate?" steve asked "I'm assigned to protect you" she said looking around. "on who's order?" steve asked and she looked at nick on the floor. "his"

She dropped to the floor and grabbed an intercom from her pocket and called for an EMT. "do we have 20 on the shooter?" someone on the other side asked "tell him I'm in pursuit" steve said "you stay here and protect her" steve said and Sharon nodded "I was talking to Anne" steve said before running out and jumping through the window.

"who are you?" kate asked "I'm a friend of steve's" Anya answered and Kate nodded. Steve came back not even five minutes later and the EMT's arrived at the same time. "I lost track of him" he told kate and I while following the EMT's down. "you go with him, we'll follow you with the car" steve said to kate who nodded and got into the back of the ambulance with Nick.

Steve and Anya took his car following the ambulance to the hospital. Anya waited in the waiting room while steve went to watch the operation.

this next part is the whole reason I started this book, I had this random daydream and made it into this scene which then turned into this whole book

"did he make it?" Anya asked and steve shook his head "oh okay" Anya answered not really knowing what to say or how to react, she grew up with death. "just that? Oh okay?" steve asked and she looked down at her feet.

"you know I just lost another friend in there, you are a bitter person Anne" Anya scoffed "how can I not be, I grew up around murder" she whisper yelled getting close to steve so only he could hear. "I lost the only one I ever loved to murder, I loved her, and she was killed, by me" her voice broke at the end, and she had to step back to bite back her tears. "don't tell me I'm bitter, or that I should react differently because honestly steve I don't know how to react, I'm a trained assassin, I've been killing people since I was 9, so no I don't know how to react to death"

Steve stared at her "you killed the one you loved?" Anya nodded "I was under mind control, I've been living with the terror and guilt ever since, it has been haunting me" Steve stayed silent taking it all in.

Suddenly the red-haired woman she saw in the gym while at the tower appeared. She looked at Anya and then at steve who nodded at her telling her with one look that she could trust her. "Natasha" steve said with a nod. "why was fury in your apartment?" she asked and steve sighed "I don't know" another man appeared "cap, they want you back at Shield"

"yeah give me a second" the man shook his head "they want you now" steve nodded "okay" he turned back to Natasha and the man walked off.

"you're a terrible Liar" she said to him before shooting another glance at Anya and walking off. Steve sighed before turning to Anya. "go back to the apartment only to get your gear then go to this address tell him you are a friend of mine, I don't know when I'll be back but you'll be safe there" steve told Anya handing her a piece of paper with an address and his car keys before walking off.

Anya sighed and pocketed the piece of paper before going back to the apartment. She grabbed her suit from the bottom of the wardrobe. She looked at the shiny silver and red buckle on the belt, it was the hourglass shape of the redroom with silver wings, designed for her and Dolores. She took it off and put it in the drawer of the nightstand. She grabbed the polaroid picture and put it back in its usual place in her pocket.

She locked the apartment and filled the address in on steves navigation system, it was a 30-minute drive so she listened to some music while driving there.

She arrived at a small neighborhood and parked her car at the side of number 38. "well here goes nothing" she said slinging the bag over her shoulder and getting out. She knocked three times and waited for steve's friend to open the door.

"sam Wilson?" she asked and the man nodded "that's me, but who are you?" he asked looking her up and down "I'm Anne, a friend of steve's, we are kind of in trouble and I needed a place to stay, he said to come here" Anya explained and sam looked around before stepping aside and letting the woman in.

"tea or coffee?" sam asked walking into his kitchen and Anya took a seat at his table "tea please, thank you" sam made two cups before sitting down with her. "so you and steve got in 'trouble'" he asked raising his eyebrow in question. "honestly I know almost as little as you do, I got involved into something that has nothing to do with me" she explained and he nodded.

"well I'll have you know you can trust me and you are safe here" sam said and Anya smiled at him "thank you, honestly, people are so kind" she said the last part to herself but sam let out a chuckle having heard it. 

"never knew good people then?" he asked and she shrugged "something like that" 

~*~

1438 words

16-02-2022

double update again you're welcome

~*~