Chapter 7

I hadn't seen Lyle all day. Lyle and Alpha left early in the morning to handle some business. That left me alone with Luna and her crazy antics. I've put table cloths on all of the tables, set up all the chairs, hung all the decorations, set up the food warmers, set up the food in the food warmers, blew up balloons, set up appetizers, and hung lights from the surrounding trees. Quite a few pack members were by helping as well as bring more supplies, but no one was there as long as me. I was Luna's puppet for the day, but I didn't mind.

Now with only a half hour until the party is set to begin, Luna and I were getting ready ourselves. I showered and blow dried my curly hair. I used hair gel hold in my curls, styling the mop until I approved. The black suit Luna picked out was smooth and fit my body perfectly. The black tie that accompanied it made me feel important, like my words were meant to be heard tonight. But I knew better than that. Tonight was a night for me to sit in the shadows and let Lyle bask in his sickening glory.

"Ready?" Luna called from down the stairs. I took one last look in the mirror before stomping down the stairs. Luna looked absolutely brilliant in her red dress. Though I knew her actual age, she didn't look a day over 30.

Smiling brightly at her, I held out my arm, which she kindly grasped as I led her to the car. As I drove, Luna listed off things on her to do list while I reassured her that we already did them. She really was the perfect Luna. Hopefully Lyle's mate is just as skillful in these tasks.

There were already people on the field enjoying themselves once we showed up. I spotted Weston's bright red hair only seconds after leaving the car. Luna rushed off to check her preparations, leaving me to saunter up to Weston.

Weston was an extremely bubbly person, and just like at every other event, he was talking people's ears off. Weston's mouth grew a wider smile once he saw me approaching.

"You look dashing, Blaze!" He exclaimed in a fake British accent, throwing his arms around me for a hug. He was one of the few people I even let touch me, so this act attracted a few stares. His arms made me feel loved and safe, unlike so many others in the pack who made me feel like a filthy rouge.

I giggled into his hair until he released me. "You look pretty dapper yourself," I commented, scanning his freshly pressed suit. He took a moment to meticulously fix his hair.

We waltzed back over to the table he was just at. Weston continued his conversation with some of the hockey players. I leaned back in my chair, quietly observing the party. There was a long rectangular table in the front of the party with the rest being small circular ones. The rectangular table was for Lyle, Alex, Macey, Luna, and Alpha. But there was 6 seats, so I pondered who the other chair might be for.

Lyle arrived about 30 minutes after the party started, fashionably late like always. He was wearing almost the exact same suit as me except he had a black bow tie. Alpha was in a tan suit and red tie, matching Luna's outfit well. They marched suavely to the party, sitting at their seats at the rectangular table. The crowd quieted down to stare at the two, but returned to its normal volume once Luna and Alex walked up to greet them. I couldn't help but notice Lyle's eyes staring at me with a bit of confusion. We made eye contact for a split second before I shifted my attention back to Weston.

"Blaze!" I heard my name being called not a second later. I turned around to see Henry with a foolish smile plastered on his face, yet my eyes wandered to a smaller boy holding his hand.

I stood up from my seat to greet them, raising my eyebrows at the two. "Henry! Is this your mate?" I asked, pausing to look at the mate who had wide eyes. "Felix right?"

The boy stared for a minute as we waited for a response. The boy seemed to snap out of his weird trance after a nudge from his mate. It was probably just nerves or being around so many people. "Blazen?" He whispered, squinting at me.