Chapter 14

It was Wednesday and almost time for me to meet Xander at the diner. I had just gone on a wolf run with Weston, so I had to shower. I've been attempting to make more time for Weston since I was ditching him for Xander a lot and couldn't exactly tell him why. He'd understand if he knew, but I still felt bad.

Rummaging through my clothes, I tried picking out something stylish. Over the weeks I've felt like I could express myself more. Xander always wore such perfected outfits, similar to Weston. I used to only wear black shirts and jeans, but now I'm experimenting more.

I picked out a pair of black ripped jeans Luna got me for Christmas, a white shirt, and a red flannel with a hood on the back. I used some gel to tame my curls in place. Studying myself in the mirror, I suddenly felt self conscious of all my scars. The one across my eye and the claw marks on my neck where a rogue tried to end my life looked more prominent than ever. They never bothered me too much until I stared at Xander who only had a few practically invisible small scars. It reminded me of how different our experiences were. How different I was.

Blaze. Please come to my office. Alpha mindlinked me. Sighing, I glanced at the clock. It was 5:30 and I needed to leave in 15 minutes. I quickly sent a text to Xander saying I may be late before I headed to Alpha's office.

I paused outside his door, hearing voices laughing and casually talking. Taking a deep breath, I knocked. I heard Alpha shout for me to come in, and I was instantly hit with a familiar scent.

"Alpha Zach, this is my other son, Blaze!" Alpha introduced, but I could barely move as I stared at my uncle in bewilderment. Uncle Zach raised his eyebrows and had a smirk on his lips while he watched me. He wasn't surprised to see me, which means he found out somehow about me and Xander. And I'm sure my shock gave away that I knew who he was.

Uncle Zach stood from his chair and reached out his hand. I hesitantly shook it, grimacing a little at the feeling of being caught red handed. "Nice to meet you! Are you the one becoming Alpha or is Lyle?" His eyes burned whole in me as he practically called out everything we've been hiding from him.

Alpha chuckled a little and patted me on the back. "Blaze is adopted, so Lyle is the next in line. But Blaze is our head trainer! He is an amazing warrior. Just a few weeks ago he took out a rogue in his human form with ease!" Alpha bragged in his proud voice. Uncle Zach seemed to light up at Alpha's tone, as if he realized I was raised by people who loved me. Maybe that made him feel less guilty about my situation.

In this moment, I was silently thanking the mood goddess that Xander and I took after our mother. Uncle Zach had blonde hair and dark eyes, making us look nothing alike if you aren't look for the resemblance. We had the same nose and sharp jawline. But not enough to cause suspicion.

I saw Uncle Zach stare intensely at my neck, which made me more insecure about my scars. "Blaze, Alpha Zach is the Alpha of the Black Heart pack. We were just chatting about some rogues in the area we are monitoring, and we got on the discussion of warrior training programs. That's why I called you here!"

Nodding slowly, I tried so hard not express any unwanted emotions in front of Alpha. "Oh! I need to run and talk to my Beta real quick. Why don't you guys chat while I'm gone?" Alpha suddenly announced. He must've got mindlinked. Before I could object, Alpha was out the door, leaving me in a very awkward situation.

"So um, how did you find out?" I asked timidly, feeling guilty about hiding everything from him.

He laughed, standing up and walking closer to me. "Xander has always been terrible at keeping secrets. And Lilith has had a tracking spell on him for years. As soon as I started getting curious on where he was, I had Lilith track him and find out what he was up to." I nodded slowly, figuring this would happen at some point. Before I could respond, Uncle Zach embraced me, tightly squeezing me as if I'd vanish if he didn't. "I'm so glad you are okay," he mumbled into me. He was slightly shorter than me, so his head was practically in my chest.