Chapter 42

Lyle's POV

Alex's voice sounded like television static to my ears: background noise. My mind was clouded with too many thoughts, some of which were my own and others from Fallon. Fallon has been going through withdrawal from not seeing Apollo in almost two days. Apparently more than he could handle. Blaze and I had been texting and calling nonstop, which soothed me, but not being able to necessarily reach out to Apollo made Fallon unnerved.

"Are you even listening to me?" Alex snapped, throwing a pen in my direction. I caught the pen with ease then proceeded to glare at my friend. Ever since my heat, being around Alex has been difficult. The idea that Alex and Blaze have had sex multiple times never really bothered me up until this point, especially after being hounded by my friend's questions about Blaze. I never realized how much Alex cared for my mate until finally reflecting on their relationship over the years.

"Not really, man," I admitted, unashamed by the response. Alex rolled his eyes in irritation, but didn't press the matter further.

Alex was about to speak again, probably to lecture me about the importance of paperwork since that's what we were doing. We were sitting in Alex's office doing pack paperwork, and we have been for nearly three hours now. But before Alex could speak again, my nose perked up and sniffed around. A familiar scent. One that smelled similar to my mate, with a calming essence around it, but it had more spice to it. Alex noticed my sniffing, furrowing his eyebrows together before there was a knock at the door.

Alex huffed, putting down his pages to call out to the person to come in. It didn't come to my surprise to see Ace shuffling in the room. The concern on his face was evident once he saw me. His face instantly fell and he pierced his lips together as he avoided eye contact with me.

"Hi, Alex, Lyle. I just came to drop off my transfer form. I'm not moving officially for a couple of months, but the mate signed it already so I figured I'd bring it," Ace explained, talking mostly to Alex. He obviously knew that I knew who he was, and was probably scared shitless that I'd hurt him. But Fallon wasn't thinking that at all. I'm not sure why I didn't feel the pull before, but now it was more clear. I felt the overwhelming need to protect him, much different than my bond with Blaze, but still extremely intense.

Alex looked a little confused, but I wasn't sure why. He has been oblivious to my stares at the omega.

"The Alpha of the pack signed it too?" Alex questioned, reaching out to take the paper.

"His mate is the Alpha," I stated, shocking both of the two wolves with my voice. Ace looked less surprised than Alex at my sudden intrusion.

Alex whipped his head back toward Ace and then glanced at the sheet. "Really? You are going to be a Luna?" Ace nodded shyly, not saying much. Instead his eyes met mine with a weird sincerity.

Alex now frowned as he studied the paper. "Black Hearts? I heard about a wolf from here being mated to the Alpha, but I didn't know who. Isn't that the pack Blaze just moved to out of the blue?" My family kept the reason for Blaze's move quiet for the most part. There were some rumors, most of them correctly falling into the category of Blaze finding his family. Others were considering him a trader.

Ace looked confused for a moment, squinting at me. My best guess is that he wasn't sure why Alex didn't know what was happening considering his status of being my best friend and future Beta.

"Yes..." Ace trailed off, looking unsure of what to say exactly.

"Alex, can you give Ace and me a moment?" This startled both the boys as four eyes were now trained on me. Ace looked somewhat relieved but also nervous. Alex just looked irritated. I knew he wasn't dumb, something sketchy was going on.