Chapter 21

A pillow fell onto my face, instantly waking me up. I sat up immediately, scanning my surroundings for the threat. The threat was just Alpha staring at me with an amused smile dancing across his face.

"Whatcha doing down here, son? You do have a bed," he laughed, sipping his coffee as I stretched.

I ripped my blanket off and wandered into the kitchen, Alpha following as I grumbled to myself. "Weston was drunk and completely took over my bed," I groaned. The perfect lie. I poured myself my own coffee, an unusual gesture for me. I sat on the counter in only some shorts, displaying all my scars. Alpha wasn't bothered by them like I was, but I was still insecure being so exposed. I wished I had worn a shirt to bed.

"Well, seems like you had quite the night. You were at the birthday party for the next Alpha of Black Heart pack, yes?" I paused, uncomfortable that he knew the details. Did he know Xander at all? Has he seen a picture of him?

I hesitated before answering, looking for the right words. "Uh, yeah. I need to talk to you about that amongst a few other things..." I trailed off, sipping my coffee when I couldn't think of what else to say.

"It's okay. I think it's good you are making so many connections with other packs. It could help us with alliances one day!" he dismissed, waving his hand in the air as if it didn't matter. I wasn't sure if I was relieved that I didn't have to confess everything right now or upset he dismissed it.

I was about to talk again before Weston barged in looking very unhappy and definitely hungover.

"The beast has risen!" Alpha joked, putting his hands in the air to emphasize his point. Weston rolled his eyes as he took a frozen waffle out of the freezer.

"The beast will claw your ears out if you don't shut up," he grumbled, sitting next to me on the kitchen island counter. Alpha put his hands up in defense and continued to drink his coffee. "Do I have to go to to omega training today?" Weston whined as he chomped his waffle.

I patted him on the back roughly. "You bet ya!" Weston groaned and attempted to push me off the counter, but I managed to sturdy myself easily.

Lyle barged in, and we all looked up at him. I cautiously watched him, ready to protect Weston if need be.  His eyes flashed gold for a split second, but he collected himself and walked passed us to the coffee.

"On second thought, if Lyle is in a bad mood, I'd go anywhere to get away from him," Weston piped up, obviously meaning it in a whimsical manner, but Lyle growled at him. Weston simply rolled his eyes and ignored the boy.

Lyle sat next to Alpha at the table, his eyes never leaving me. He studied my bare torso, and I suddenly felt even more self conscious than I thought was possible. Thankfully, his gaze switched back over to Weston. Lyle's eyes furrowed before asking, "Why are you wearing Blaze's shirt?" The words were practically spit out of his mouth, not doing a very good job at hiding his wolf's possessiveness. But to everyone else unaware of the situation, they probably assumed Lyle was just fucking around with us to bully me.

Weston blinked a few times before looking down at the plain black shirt. "How'd you even know this was Blaze's?" I mean it could've been anyone's black shirt, but I knew it probably smelled like me enough for Lyle to notice. Lyle shrugged, leaving Weston space to answer the question. "My elf costume got covered in cake," Weston admitted, blushing a bit. "It wasn't my fault this time! Xander was aiming for Blaze, but he got me instead," Weston defended, obviously not realizing the name he just dropped.

My eyes instantly fell on Alpha who was frozen in his place. He recognized the name. The name I screamed in all my nightmares. The name I cried for at night. Why else would I suddenly start hanging out nonstop with people from another pack? "Xander, the next in line Alpha, right?" Alpha suddenly questioned, not in his usual confidence but more hesitant. Weston nodded, now realizing his mistake. Lyle didn't react, which was good. His lack of attention all these years are coming in clutch.