9

Three days.

It has been three days since Mari has been given food or water. Jimin hasn't come down even to make her dance for him; he's been completely absent, neglecting her worse than usual.

She realizes her plan didn't go as she has hoped. In fact, it had the opposite effect than she had intended. She's started losing hope that he is going to let her survive this.

After all, Taehyung said it himself that day - she isn't the first girl. She replaced the last girl, and he can replace her with just a flick of his wrist.

She has been difficult, disobedient and unwilling to give in to his false sense of superiority. He feels above her; he feels like a god because he can look at someone and they move like a puppet on his strings.

He sees himself as a giver of life; he sees himself as a deity. He wants to be thanked and he wants to be noticed.

She did her best to lie. She tried to be that girl he wanted her to be.

She wanted to lure him into a false sense of trust, so she did thank him. One time, she told him that.

It wasn't enough.

Now, because she snapped at him in a moment of anger, he is going to starve her to death and then replace her.

That's easier than letting her go, right? She can't go to the police and report him if she's dead.

Then again, who would believe her story?

The basement door creaks open, and when she glances at the silhouette in the door frame, she notices a couple things.

Firstly, she sees that it is nighttime; she sees the glittering stars she used to admire through her telescope when she was a child. Secondly, she doesn't see a man seated in a wheelchair. She sees a tall, looming figure standing between her and her freedom.

"Shhh," the figure says, wincing slightly at the loud creaking of the basement door as he closes it behind him. "Please don't let him hear us."

Mari nods, barely able to hold her head up at this point.

Taehyung walks up to her, a paper bag in his hand.

He tries to reach the bag out towards Mari, but she flinches and just stares at the now closed door.

"Quickly," he says, urging her to take the bag. "I'll stand outside the door and come back in after fifteen minutes to collect the trash. Just be quiet about it."

Mari still doesn't move, so Taehyung sets the bag on her bed and then walks away, leaving the basement and closing the door behind him.

She bites her lip as her stiff body moves towards the bag and opens it, seeing a bottle of water and some food inside.