17

"It's definitely broken," the doctor says as he looks at Mari's x-rays.

Mari sits on the hospital bed, wringing her hands together as her nervous glance moves between the doctor and Jimin, who is staring at the doctor with a solemn expression on his face.

"We're gonna get a cast on your foot, and you'll be in that for around six weeks," the doctor explains as Mari's face goes pale.

She knows what is going to happen; she knows Jimin well enough by now to know that to him, she is useless now. Who wants to play with a broken puppet?

Mari bites her lip as the doctor continues to explain the plan for the next few months, including physical therapy and a possible surgery if she doesn't care for her ankle properly and stay off of it.

She realizes she has a choice to make: to tell the doctor the truth or to go home with Jimin.

If she tells the doctor, he will think she is crazy and Jimin will definitely agree to that. Either the doctor will laugh in her face and send her home with Jimin, or he will hopefully send her to a psychiatric hospital where she will at least be safe from Jimin, maybe.

This may be her only chance.

If she goes home with Jimin, Mari is sure he will kill her one way or another. Either slowly and painfully by starving her to death, or maybe he'll make it quick and just shoot her in the head.

"Dr. Lee..." Mari begins in a wavering voice, her heart pounding in her chest. "I need you to call the police."

Jimin's eyes widen and the doctor frowns in confusion. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Call the police, please," Mari repeats, tears forming in her eyes. "This man has been holding me captive for months. I don't know what name he gave to you but it's probably not my real name. My name is-"

Jimin narrows his eyes and forces Mari to shut her mouth, and the doctor stares between the two of them, his mouth hanging open.

"I'll let you two have a moment alone. I'm going to go put these x-rays into your file," the doctor says, his gaze shifting to Mari for one final moment, the smallest nod sent her way before he turns and heads for the door.

Mari's heart skips a beat; she realizes that he might have just sent her a message.

She realizes that the doctor may actually believe her.

As soon as he reaches the door, however, Jimin holds his hand up and the doctor freezes in his place.

Jimin sighs, rubbing his eyes with his left thumb and forefinger while his right hand holds the man in place.

"Mari, my sweet puppet," Jimin says in a calm tone. "Did you really think I would be stupid enough not to steal some hair from the doctor just in case you pulled something just like this?"