20

Two years.

Jimin has been in a psychiatric hospital for two years ever since being declared mentally unstable.

He dreams about many things when he is under the influence of his medications he's forced to take each day to stabilize him.

He dreams of his past as a dancer. He dreams of the years spent with his best friend. He dreams of the accident that cost him the use of his legs.

Most of all, he dreams of her.

Mari.

He dreams of her beautiful, silky hair that he would have to put into a perfect bun for her every day because she couldn't do it herself.

He dreams of her lithe body moving under his control, her dancing amplified by the small movements of his fingers.

He dreams of the adoring fans clapping for her - clapping for him.

His therapist told him that he can't really control people's bodies. His therapist told him that was what his mind became convinced of, and that actually, he would force those women to dance for him under threat of physical harm or death.

Apparently, it was all made up in his mind; he saw what he wanted to see.

When he said they were lying, they told him the story Mari told the police.

She told them she had to dance for him, otherwise he said he would kill her and her entire family.

She told them she would play along with his game. If she didn't play along and pretend he could physically control her, he would hurt her and threaten her family.

He doesn't remember ever telling her she had to play along.

She told them that when Taehyung tried to call the police that day at the hospital, Jimin rushed at him and launched himself onto Taehyung's back, breaking his neck.

He doesn't remember that either.

She told them that they both collapsed to the ground and Jimin pulled himself back into his wheelchair, staring blankly down at his dead best friend before wheeling himself back to Mari's side as she watched helplessly.

She told them that the reason she took the locket off of his neck was because Taehyung explained what went on in Jimin's mind the first night he visited her when Jimin had to run errands. He told her everything. And she thought that if she could get that away from him, he would think he'd lost and she would be able to get away. And it worked.

His therapist says his mind is blocking out the truth because he sees only what he wants to see.

Maybe he did make it all up. Maybe he just wanted it to be real so badly, that it was real in his mind.

It was like he was pulling his own strings in his mind to see what he wished he could have: the power to dance again, somehow.

Like he was his own marionette.