10

The next morning, Mari is awoken by a gentle tapping on her cheek.

With squinted eyes, she glances up and sees Jimin watching her with a sorrowful look in his otherwise crazed eyes.

"You look awful," he says, frowning slightly. "I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have punished you so harshly. I was just so angry at your ungratefulness."

Mari decides to stay silent.

"I guess I was also jealous," he explains further. "I want us to have not only a great business relationship, but also a great friendship. To hear you got along so well with Tae just really hurt my feelings."

Mari bites the inside of her cheek at the mention of Taehyung. She can't forget his act of kindness last night, and she wouldn't be able to forgive herself if she got him in trouble.

"Taehyung calmed me down and made me see how unfair I was being. I brought you some breakfast," he says, gesturing to the tray in his lap.

Mari's eyes immediately lock onto the tray filled with breakfast foods, and she clenches her jaw as she suppresses the urge to cry out in eagerness.

"I'll just leave this here for you," he says, setting the tray on her bed. "I'm sorry, Mari. I really am. I know this is messed up, but I just can't let you go."

"Why do you do this?" Mari asks, finally finding her voice.

Jimin sighs as his hands clasp together in his lap. "Dancing was everything to me. It was my past, my present and I thought it would be my future. After the accident, it was like I didn't know who I was anymore. I became a nobody. One day, I realized the gift I had been given to replace the gift I had lost. I realized I could dance again - through another's body. I could use someone else to live out my perfect future."

"That's selfish," Mari says quietly, fearing how he may react.

Jimin stays calm, shrugging his shoulders. "I know. I just... I can't let it go. I won't."

He wheels himself towards the basement door.

"Eat. A beautiful puppet like you shouldn't look so hollow."