Chapter 9 - Mothers

You will grow all you need to grow inside my spine
And then take what you need to take, what's yours is mine
And then just give all you want of it to some new thing
I'll stay here, the provider of that constant sting they call love
They call love. "

'Mothers' - Daughter

**********************************

**5pm**

Emily and Kali finished their shift at The Bay. Kali had locked the front door and was about to head home for the night.

"Would you like to come round for dinner tonight? John's got one of his things on tonight with the guys and Caleb is round at a friend's tonight, so it'll just be the two of us."

"Ermm..." Emily tied the belt of her coat and stepped outside in the frigid evening air. "I guess I could for a bit. I need to get back to mine for 7:30pm."

"Why?" Kali came and joined her on the sidewalk, shoving her hands in her puffa jacket pockets. She turned her head to look at Emily. "Oooooh....do you have a hot date with a certain someone." She grinned, wiggling her eyebrows.

Emily blushed. "Shannon's going to call me, yes." She turned away from Kali to hide her embarrassment and hoisted her handbag up onto her shoulder.

"So basically, some hot, steamy phone sex is about to go down."

"It might between you and John, but no. We have some stuff to talk about." The wind whipped up and blew some hair in her face and she reached out with a hand to remove it.

"Is everything OK? I mean, is it something to do with him ringing the shop phone earlier on? You know you can talk to me about anything. I know I fangirl about you dating Shannon Leto, but I do respect his privacy and anything you tell me will only ever be between the two of us."

"I'll tell you when we get to yours. I need to try and phone James again as well."

"James?"

"I tried to phone him earlier. I-I've been thinking about things a lot. I need to tell him about the baby, Kali. I need to at least give him the choice of being in its life."

"Do you think he'll want to be?"

"I don't know. I haven't been able to speak to him yet. He, er...he's got a new girlfriend."

"What? Really? What's she like?"

"Delightful." Emily replied sarcastically.

"Oh. Right."

"I tried to call him earlier, but she picked up."

"Why's she answering his phone?"

"Beats me. Anyway, I want to try again and hopefully he'll pick up this time."

It was starting to rain now, so they both ran to Kali's truck and she drove them the rest of the way back to her house. Letting them both in.

*****************************

**A Bit Later**

Emily and Kali were sat in her lounge. Kali was having a glass of wine whilst Emily had a herbal tea.

"You wanna try this again?" Kali asked her, coming to sit next to her on the couch.

Emily exhaled deeply. "Yeah. I guess I better get this shit show on the road." She lent forward to her handbag and rummaged inside trying to find her phone, pulling it out and scrolling through to find James's number. "Wish me luck."