01 - Butterfly and Toad

To get butterflies in one's stomach.
Fluttering sensations caused by a feeling of nervous anticipation that is most often attributed to falling in love.

• o 🦋 o •

It was a cold, cold day...

I know a lot of these stories start off that way but it's just the honest truth. And I was walking in the snow nearly freezing to death because of it so I think it's pretty important information, thank you very much.

So, it was a cold, cold day in December. Snow covered the earth and my ears were hurting. I tried to warm my hands by blowing clouds of mouth-warmth into them but it didn't have much effect. I was almost there anyway.

It was winter break and I was going to hang out with my best friend, Riley. We were going to see some new action movie at the cinema. She'd been looking forward to it for months, ever since she'd seen the trailer. Other than the movie, she was also looking forward to seeing my discomfort. I hated action movies. I hated blood. It always made my queasy. So whenever a scene with explosions or other violent things came on, I'd close my eyes and think of something nice.

Speaking of something nice: My favorite insects were butterflies. They're obviously superior to any other. I mean, they're bright, they're graceful, they're lively.. Can't say that about too many other insects. I would totally bottle them and keep them in my room forever but I could never do that to the poor things so I took pictures of them instead.

I wished I was more like a butterfly. I was more of a toad. Riley rated me a solid five out of ten so I wouldn't say I looked like a toad. I just.. had the elegance of one. I had a pretty stocky build and no grace at all. Sometimes I wish I was more refined.. but then again, that doesn't seem to be something that people look for in partners these days so I guess it doesn't matter.

After another five minutes of walking I had finally reached the cinema. Its golden arches always made me feel so fancy whenever I came there. I stepped inside onto the old, (but in my opinion) still classy red carpet. There was a long line for the tickets and finally I spotted Riley in the crowd. She smiled and waved at me in her signature energetic way, her caramel blonde ponytail swaying in the wind.

I made my way towards her.

"I'm so glad we don't have school! We could spend all night here if we wanted to!" She said excitedly.

"To watch action movies? I don't think so."

"Fine, we'll go see Princess And The Frog after this, softie." Riley playfully smacked my arm.

"Ow!" She was stronger than she looked.

"You're such a wimp. You seriously need to practice more. It would be good for the team too."

Riley and I were on the same soccer team.

"Hey, strong feet. Not strong arms!"

"Are they really?" Riley gave me a skeptical look before kicking at my legs.

"Ow! Riley! That seriously hurts!"

"I thought your legs were so strong, huh?" She laughed as she continued destroying my legs.

"Not after this!" I complained.

After a while of torture she finally pulled back. That girl was super competitive and passionate. That was also why she was the captain of our team. And I know what you're thinking: guys and girls in the same team? Since when? Well, since now. Riley was better than most guys on our squad and in our town there was no rule against it so... yay, equality.

"I'm going to the bathroom." I said.

"Okay, hurry back."

"What? The movie doesn't start for twenty minutes and we don't even have tickets yet."