29 - Poisonous Toad

Toad
An extremely detestable and unpleasant person.

• o 🦋 o •

It was today. Riley's birthday. The event we'd been working towards for months. And I was not looking forward to it. Selfish, I know. 

I was supposed to bring Riley to the club. It was a Saturday and we were going out together anyway. Her mom was in on this too. She'd told Riley she'd planned a party on Sunday so Riley thought this was just a one on one hangout.

I waited in front of Riley's house on my bike.

The door burst open. "The seventeen year old is here!" She declared. 

"Happy birthday, Riley." 

"Thank you, thank you." She bowed. 

She was honestly dressed like a circus person. With brown striped tights, a red poofy skirt, some type of matching corset and a mini top hat. 

"Why are you dressed like that?" I chuckled. 

"Hello? You only turn seventeen once. I need to look special! Here, take a picture." Riley shoved her camera in my hands with so much force I fell over and my bike nearly crushed my legs.

"Ow!" 

She laughed at me. 

"Why are you laughing! I could've broken something!" 

She continued to giggle like nothing was wrong. 

I grumbled some obscenities as I got back on my feet. I took a bunch of pictures of Riley and then we were off. 

She rode on the back of my bike. 

"Where are we going anyway?" She asked. 

"The cinema. But I have to stop at our club first. I forgot my shoes last week."

"You're such a doof, Jay." 

"I know, I know." 

The wind was nice. It was a pretty hot day and we were going to spend all of it outside. 

"Did you put on sunscreen?" I asked.

"Yup! I even put some in my hair!" 

"Riley!" 

"What?" 

I laughed. We pulled up at the club. 

"Woah, lotta cars here today. I wonder why. There's only the junior league practice today." Riley wondered. 

"Ha! Yeah.. Oh, well." 

We both got off the bike. 

"'Oh well'? This is important! What if there's like a festival today and NO ONE told us?! We have to investigate! Come on!" Riley grabbed my wrist and ran towards the entrance. 

"Wait! Riley!"

"I will not wait, Jay!" 

There were garlands and festive deco everywhere! There were flowers in beautiful pots hanging high on lamp posts. It looked amazing. 

"Oh my God! I love sunflowers!" Riley shrieked. She looked around at the decorations and shook her head. "A secret festival. I knew it. Traitors!" 

We walked along further into the campus until we'd reached the plaza in front of the football fields. 

It was so full. There were even more people than expected. Riley was right. It really was like a festival.

"There she is!" Someone announced.