20 - Radiant Butterfly

Wouldn't hurt a [butter] fly
Spoken about someone very kind and gentle.

• o 🦋 o •

I'd tried to call Mica countless times the day after the dinner with his dad but I couldn't catch him every time I tried. I was beginning to think George really wasn't allowing me to spend time with him anymore. But then why did he say I was lucky Mica was fond of me? The way he spoke made it seem like he was going to keep me around.. at least until Riley's birthday.

And so today, I tried again after school and finally Mica picked up. 

"Hello?" 

"Mica!" I sighed of relief. "I've been calling you all day and yesterday too!"

"I'm sorry. It's been a frantic time." 

"How come?"

Mica sighed. "Uh.. just ballet stuff." 

He sounded unsure.  

"Are you okay? Has.. has your dad told you anything?" 

"No. I mean, yes. I guess I know why you were so anxious after dinner the other day. You're talking about that night at the ballet, right?" 

"It slipped out! I am so incredibly sorry!" 

"It's okay, really." 

"Did he punish you?" 

It took him a moment to respond. "Not really. Just a firm conversation." 

"Did he yell at you?" 

"No. It's all okay, really."  Mica pressed. "How was your day?" 

I hated this. I hated how we could never just talk about his father without him changing the subject so fast.

"You don't like talking about him, huh?" 

There was silence on his side. Then a soft sigh. "You worry too much." 

"Because you tell me too little." 

"I told you everything's okay." Mica chuckled. His voice was all buttery smooth and honey-like. I was too irritated and worried to be distracted by it today.

"And I don't believe you." I answered. 

The silence on his side of the line made me realize how harsh I sounded. 

"I didn't mean it like that. I'm not saying you're lying I just feel like you're not telling me everything." 

Well actually, Jay, that is the EXACT SAME THING. 

More silence. 

"Mica?" 

"I have to go." He said quietly before hanging up. He sounded down. Really down. 

I pushed my face into a pillow and screamed loud. "UGHHHHH!!!!" 

"Ew, what's the matter with you?" Kyle stuck his head in the room. 

"Just-" I angrily shook my phone in my hand before throwing it on a chair in the corner. "UGHHH!! WHY IS HE LIKE THAT?!! WHY AM I??!!" 

"Oh God, you're even weirder than normal." Kyle sat down on my chair, right on top of my phone. 

"Dude!" 

He sighed and tossed it back to me. "In normal, non-caveman language, tell me what happened with your girlfriend." 

I rolled my eyes. "He won't tell me about his loony dad and when I ask him why he changes the subject. I know there's something wrong with that man but Mica won't let me in! And then, just now I told him.. I basically called him a liar!" I fell on the bed. "UGHHH!!!"