16 - Dancing Butterfly

As cross as a frog in a sock
Extremely and vocally angry.

• o 🦋 o •

Mica and I were going to Riley and my club tonight to convince Old Man Waylon to let us throw Riley's birthday party there but first Mica had ballet class which I was going to watch because I was pathetic and Mica-deprived. 

I walked through the green hallway of Mica's house. I almost began to run because it was so dark and eerie. 

I opened the doors at the end of the corridor. Mica was already at the ballet barre doing exercises. He wore black tights with white socks and a white T-shirt. His hair was in a messy low bun. Wow, look at those legs. He ought to try soccer with those, he could win us the season!

He smiled when he saw me. "James." 

"Hi." I smiled back. I wanted to go kiss him but then I noticed the dude in the corner. Right.. that must be his teacher. 

"H-hello! I'm Jay. I'm just here to watch today." Social skills! Well done!

"I'm aware." The guy said annoyed, rising from his chair. 

"You're distracted. Focus!" He said to Mica. He had a faint Long Island accent.

Was that it? It was like I wasn't even there. 

The guy brushed past me and blocked my view of Mica. "Keep your chin up." 

No offense but the dude was a total douche bag. He had to be like.. twenty-three at most? But he was acting like he was that much older than us. 

He was lean yet muscular. He smelled like mint and his brown hair had so much gel in it, he was practically an oil slick. He had unforgiving dark eyes and a snobbish pointy nose. 

"So.. what's your name?" I asked. 

The guy stared daggers at me. "Orlando- I was told you were just here to watch and that you weren't going to be a bother." 

"Sorry.. I just wanted to introduce myself." 

"And now you have. So go ahead and be quiet and stay out of the way." Orlando turned to Mica again. "Smile! This isn't a torture session, this is easy." 

He was so mean! I hurried over to the chair in the corner. 

"NOT MY CHAIR!" The guy snapped. 

I jumped up, startled. I sat on the chair next to it. The dude really was particular about his chair. Bejesus. 

"It's supposed to look pleasant. You make it look like child-labor." Orlando said to Mica.

Was he always this damn harsh? I felt bad for Mica. 

"Chin up, chin up, chin up," The way he was talking was like he was counting to the music instead of barking orders. "Relax your neck, don't slouch, chin up and smile.." 

Even his voice sounded snobbish. He constantly sounded tired and annoyed. 

The music finished and they moved to another exercise at the barre. 

"Frappé." Orlando sighed. He explained the exercise at trailblazing speed without even really showing it. He used all these french(?) terms that I didn't know and turned on the music. 

"You're off tempo!" Orlando snapped. He began to clap to the rhythm. "And out and in and out and in and.." 

Mica's foot was moving so fast. I was amazed. The rest of his body stayed still.