04 - Fluttering Butterfly

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee
To combine graceful or agile movement with intense physical strength or power.

• o 🦋 o •

Jay: Are you okay? You seemed weird when you left last week.

I'd finally mustered up the courage to text Mica. Now it had been three hours and he still hadn't replied. I was nervous. Why wasn't he answering? This was the twenty-first century! No one spent longer than five minutes without looking at their phone!

"You've been staring at that thing all day!" Riley complained as she joined my table at lunch.

I quickly put my phone away. She couldn't know Mica and I had been hanging out. She might figure out it had something to do with her.

"Well.. I'm waiting on an important email."

"About what?" Riley asked before stuffing her face with chips.

"Um.. school. School stuff."

Riley gave me a weird look. Before she could say anything some of our team mates joined our table. Soon enough she was in deep conversation with them.

I took my phone out again.

AHA! He was online! There's no running from me now, Mica!

Before long he'd gone offline again. What the heck? Why was he avoiding me?

Had I said something wrong?

I stared off into the distance going through all our conversations in my head.

Suddenly I heard a beep from my phone.

Mica: Yes! I'm sorry if I freaked you out! I had ballet practice and I was running late!

Ballet practice. Huh. That explained it. Well, it was good to know he was okay.

Jay: Okay. Good.

Mica: You think it's good I was late to ballet?

What? No!

Jay: No! Of course not!

Jay: I just meant I'm glad you're okay!

Did he really think I'd wish bad upon him like that?

Mica: I know what you meant. I was just joking, James. ;D

I sighed of relief. I totally freaked out just now.

Jay: You're hilarious.

Mica: I know ;p

Jay: That was total sarcasm in case you didn't get it.

Mica: **ignoring**

That little..

Mica: We should meet again this week.

My heart fluttered.

Jay: Totally! Can we meet at your place, though? I don't want my rowdy family interrupting us again.

Mica is typing...

I waited for Mica to reply but it took him minutes unlike the other texts so far.

Mica: Friday?

• o 🦋 o •

I had waited patiently for the week to pass by because the truth was: I was totally excited to see Mica again. I wish we went to the same school, but no.