Part 10

TIMEOUT - Part Ten

On Monday, Kyun stands by the entrance of the school building, looking out for you. Usually, he wouldn't be that obvious but he hasn't heard from you since that night and he's low-key worried.

"Y/N!" he calls, relieved, as he sees you entering the building. "Are you okay? I haven't heard from you. Did you get in a lot of trouble?"

Again he has a hard time, keeping up with your fast pace. And there's something else about you that makes him feel uneasy. You barely look at him and the smile he saw before your mother closed the door has completely vanished as well.

"My mom took my phone away!" you say while you both walk over to the lockers. "Saw your messages this morning..."

"Oh..." he says and watches you opening your locker and collecting a few items from it.

"I'm sorry for getting you in trouble but I...," he gulps. "I really liked it. And I wanted to ask if you wanna go—"

"No!" you whisper before he could even end the sentence, shut your locker and look at him. Your expression is so hard and cold again. Kyun feels his stomach turning.

"W-what?" Confused, he shakes his head.

"Kyun..." you take a deep breath. "Thank you! Thank you for listening to me and being so patient with me but..."

This small pause feels like a knife in his chest.

"This isn't working out between us..."

Kyun feels like he missed a step. It's the same feeling you have when you trip in a dream and wake up abruptly. But... this isn't a dream. Unfortunately.

"What?" he chuckles in disbelief. "What do you mean?"

"Exactly what I said!" you groan and walk down the hallway. Instantly he follows you.

"Still don't get it!"

How can you talk like this after this incredible time you've had? How can you change your mind so suddenly?

"My mom made me realize a few things... and she was right!" Without looking at him, you keep on walking. "I have to focus on school, on my college applications. I went through hell the last time I got involved with a football player and—"

"Hold up!" he reaches out his arm as far as possible with his crutches and wants to touch you, stop you. But he doesn't dare to do it. But you seem to understand his gesture and stop anyway.

"So your mom thinks I would do the same to you? Really? Only because I'm a jock?"

He gets that you're scared and that your mom is scared but what kind of discrimination is that?

For a long moment, you stand there before you finally look up and your eyes meet again. The sparks are still there! He can feel them.

"Kyun..." you sigh.

"No y/n!" Firmly, he shakes his head. "I refuse to accept that! I know I shouldn't pressure you but I know this isn't what you really think!"

This makes absolutely no sense at all! What the fuck did your mother say to you? How much did this woman brainwash you? For a second, he could swear, you're fighting your tears and you gulp heavily.

"It is!"

Kyun's jaw drops.

"It is?" his voice is only a whisper. He can't believe how much this hurts...

"Yes!" you confirm even though your shaky voice gives you away. "We're just too different, Kyun... this will never work out!"

With these words, you turn around and walk down the corridor while Kyun watches you, completely lost...