Chapter 8: Dinner with the Enemy

Victoria gets ready the next evening for her date with Hudson. She finishes putting the finishing touches on her makeup and her dress.

She looks in the mirror, making sure everything looks perfect

She looks in the mirror, making sure everything looks perfect. Her phone rings and she answers.

"Hey Victoria. Are you on the dinner yet?"

"Not yet, Mary. I'm waiting for him now. Just taking my time getting ready.

"Alright. Remember what I said: Play it cool, be flirty and play hard to get. Guys for some reason love it. I personally hate it."

"Yeah well you have Stefan, so there is no need for it." Victoria laughs

"Okay, I'm going to hang up on you now. But good luck. If Hudson touches you inappropriately, I will personally volunteer to kick his ass."

Victoria laughs "Okay Mary, I'll talk to you soon."

Victoria hangs up the phone and there is a knock on the door. She walks to the door and checks the peephole to see Hudson. She opens the door.

Hudson flashes his bright smile and hands Victoria the flowers. "Roses for the lady. You look absolutely captivating, Victoria."

She does what Mary says and takes the roses. She gives him a soft smile. "Thank you Hudson, shall we go?"

She takes his arm and he presses a kiss to the back of her hand. "Yes we shall."

With that, the two of them get in Hudson's car and drive away.

---------------------------------------------------------

They take their seat, looking at the menu. After ordering, they strike up their conversation. Mostly, Hudson had only ever talk about himself. Victoria tried not to show her annoyance and politely follows each word he says. Finally, he asks her a question.

"So why did you choose to work at Tuckersoft?" Hudson asks

"Well, because my friend, Mary, the one you met at the front desk, introduced me to Mr. Thakur. I just loved the environment and the people I work with." Victoria says

"But you have talent. Much potential that's going to waste there.

"I wouldn't say my talent is going to waste. Tuckersoft is like a family. Even, if some of the people do annoy me sometimes. Besides, Tuckersoft is full of great programmers as well. Not just me, Stefan or Colin.

"You just have so much to prove, which is why I think you would be great working for me at my company. You'll be part of a new family." Hudson persists.

"Well wow, it seems like a great honor but I'll have to give it some thought. An the company is all the way in Paris. It's a big step." Victoria says unwary.

"I totally understand. Just let me know. But I have to ask, is it weird working with your ex? You and Colin used to date right?" Hudson asks

Victoria shrugs her shoulders. "It isn’t weird really. Some days we are fighting, the next being friends. Sometimes it's just hard." Victoria says