My Thoughts On Uncharted (2022 Film)

So I did put up a small blurb on my activity page and that little blurb was my immediate reaction to the movie minutes after leaving the theater. But now that I've had a few days to stew on the film, I want to give a bit more details on the movie.

So, for some background, I recently became a fan of the Uncharted games a few years ago. I love stories, the characters and the game play. I found the series to be alot of fun like a summer blockbuster, I even went and played the spin-off game with Chloe Frazer. So when I heard they were making a movie based on this game, I was already a bit skeptical as video game movies have had some bad reps.

And then I read that they cast Tom Holland as Nathan Drake and Mark Wahlberg as Sully, I was extremely baffled at the choices. Mark doesn't fit as Sully, even if he is playing a younger Sully and Tom Holland, I do love him but he is too young and boyish looking to play Nathan Drake. 

And then the trailers released and I thought it looked alright but I wasn't getting too excited for it. So I kept my expectations really low when I went to go see the movie.

And after I saw the movie, I thought the movie was ok and I still think that although I will say I kinda liked it a bit more than I did when I first watch it. I mean the movie could've been way worse but it also could've been better.

It also felt like that the movie was trying to be a mixture of all of the Uncharted games but it was mostly inspired by Uncharted 4. Some of the action sequences were pretty good but I was expecting a bit more, especially for something that has the name Uncharted which are known for their crazy action sequences.

Now for Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg. In my opinion, I thought Tom did a pretty decent job as Nathan Drake, better than I thought. Although, it did take a bit to get used to him as all I could see was Peter Parker but like I said, I thought he did a decent job. 

Mark Wahlberg, on the other hand....he was sorely mis-cast. He didn't really act like Sully, he acted like Mark Wahlberg. Although, I will say some of the back and forth he and Tom had was kinda funny but he didn't feel like Sully.

Antonio Banderas was a pretty good villain and I thought they were building him up pretty well but then the movie does this stupid villian twist which I think was unnecessary. I think if they didn't do that, I think it would have been better.

Sophie Taylor Ali played Chloe Frazer and I thought she was pretty good and actually kinda looked like the character but I felt that her and Tom had no chemistry whatsoever.

Tati Gabrielle plays this character called Braddock and of course she's the tough badass takes no shit kind've girl, who kinda reminded me of Nadine from Uncharted 4, and I found her really boring and not much of a threat.

I feel like the script was a bit lacking even though there were some good parts in it overall. There were times it felt like they were rushing but then stop and give exposition that did feel a bit unnatural.

I was actually having a conversation with my friend, Slinky, about this movie and she asked me if I were to do the sequel, which they do hint with two post credit scenes, what would I change? And I think I would recast Sully, I'm not sure who, get some better writers, maybe get people who have played and understand the game series or hell get Amy Henning the creator of the Uncharted series give her input and ideas.

I'd also get a different director maybe like the Russo Brothers (directors of Winter Soldier, Civil War, Infinity War and Endgame) or get Chad Stahelski (Director of the John Wick movies) as they are really good at directing action sequences.

I'd also do a completely original story instead of trying to mimic story elements from the games but still put in some Easter eggs from the games in it. I also read this and I think it would be cool but have Nolan North, (who played Nathan Drake in the games) turn out to be Nathan's dad. I read in an interview with him saying he'd love for them to do that if they did a sequel which I think would be pretty cool.

Overall, my final thoughts while I do think the movie has alot of problems, I did kind've like it and it's probably among the best video game adaptations we've gotten so far. All I can say is that it could have been worse. But I will say for anyone that wants to see it, I'll say that if you are curious to see it, go in with low expectations and you might have a good time.

But as for people that are fans of the games, I don't know I've heard some fans say they really liked the film and some of them said they hate it. It all depends on you. But I'd say maybe wait til it comes out on DVD and rent it.

And to address the question that I know is coming, am I gonna do a fan fic on it. At this point, I don't know. I kinda do but then I kinda don't but we will see.

If you've seen the movie, put it in the comments and let me know. I am curious as to what you guys say.