Province #12

Flamed Photographs at Aurora
by: Enaid_Aglaia

How can you tell that you love a person? Was it the way he robbed the oxygen from your lungs, leaving you breathless? Was it from every time he passes by, your world stops? Was it from the way he makes you smile? I couldn't understand any of it.

How scary it is to put our happiness in someone's palm, knowing that they could crush it anytime they desire.

I thought, how silly and cringe can they get being with someone? I was unable to stand any of it. It w
asn't because I was bitter, maybe it was because I didn't know it felt like how they described it whenever I ask them about it. I saw and heard about that love everywhere and every time, but how can I know about it? My memories were blurred, I think I was once loved, but I forgot about it.

But that one summer getaway, I think I finally understood.

How can that one person ignite something inside me? I was confused. I never let my interest overwhelm me, but, how did he manage to sole my attention unto him? Was it from the way his brown hair dance along with the wind? Or was it how his narrow eyes disappeared every time he laughs? And how can I even notice those little things in a span of ten seconds looking at him?

I thought that was our first and last encounter. It is surely a small world, you're a friend of my friend.

“Hi, I'm Lester.” that was the first word I heard from you face to face.

I remembered being nervous with an unknown reason the first time I held your hand for a handshake. My cheeks were burning, and my heart was racing that I thought I had to catch my breath.

I was never good at prolonging the conversations but unconsciously, I found myself searching for words to say that will catch your interest.

My heart danced the moment you smiled as I found your interest in movies, preferably your love for anime.

Losing track of time, the clock strikes at eleven. “I enjoyed our talk, Elizabeth. I'm glad to know you.” those were your words before leaving.

Those small talks turned into friendship and days turned into months.

“Keirra, have you seen Lester these past few days?”

“I don't. He went off the grid since last week. I heard that he left.”

I remembered being anxious that time when you suddenly left without any words. Not only that, but I remembered how worried I was that I cried. Right there, I realized that I fell for you.

I waited for months but still, there's no trace of you. Until one day, I met someone.

I made peace with the fact that you're not coming back when the sixth month of your disappearance came.

But when I'm reaching out for someone else's hand, you came back with the words that left me speechless. “Am I too late?”

I thought holding into someone's hand would make me happy, but I never knew the joy being inside your arms would make me feel like I'm in a cloud.

You told me your reasons, that I immediately understood. At least, you were honest.

I remembered how we sang together, enjoying the songs of our favorite bands. I remembered how you held my hand as you sang, “End Up Here” by five seconds of summer.

As the time passes and the seasons changes, we opened up our hearts.

I told you a story about a man who's courting the woman that he loves. I told you how slow and shy he was to ask for her hand and how her mother likes him for her.