Age of Innocence

Chapter 15:

Age of Innocence

Detective Emily Fields had finally met her match in interrogation in the form of an inquisitive towheaded five-year-old. He stared at her from across her desk, eyeing her with a curious expression.

He wriggled in his seat – a constant motion of raw little boy energy that he couldn't contain. He reached out and touched everything within arms reach.

"Hey, stop that. Pay attention." His mother put her hands on top of his to still his motions.

"Aidan, can you tell me again why you hit Nolan and pushed him down?" Emily tried to put on her most serious face, but not serious enough to scar the kid for life.

Her voice was soft and kind, one that sounded like it belonged to a teacher and not a Homicide Detective.

"Well..." squirm, wiggle, wiggle "...cuz Nolan poked Liam in the eye...and Liam is my little brother and I'm s'posed to protect him."

"I see." Emily tented her fingers up in front of her mouth and bit back an amused grin as she looked at the blonde seated next to him.

"Mrs. Rivers, it seems to me that this is a clear-cut case of self-defense." She nodded at Hanna, who was likewise amused.

"What's that mean?" Aidan leaned forward. "Am I in trouble?" He pushed his little lip out in a pout, doing a perfect impression of his mother in her younger days.

He was the spitting image of Hanna. Same blonde hair. Clear blue eyes. Soft pale skin. The only thing he'd inherited from his father was his facial features. A deep set jaw and mischievous dimples. And a penchant for trouble, though that could be blamed on both parents.

"No, you're not in trouble." Emily kept her serious face on, "But you can't push and hit people when they make you mad, kiddo." No matter how much they deserve it... "Next time find a grown up, okay?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Good boy..." She reached into her desk and pulled out a lollipop. She'd picked up a small bag of candy when she got Hanna's call.

She glanced at Hanna to make sure it was okay to give him the treat. Her look told Emily that the boy was used to sugar highs. Emily stretched the lollipop out to Aidan and he greedily grasped it.

"Cool! Thanks!"

Emily chuckled.

"You know, the last time I saw you, you were this big." She lowered her hand down to her knee.

He'd been a two-year-old terror and his mother had just given birth to his little brother. Liam, Hanna's youngest took more after Hanna's husband, Caleb. Brown hair. Soft rosy cheeks. But he had Hanna's blue eyes, and they shined like Aidan's.

"Wow, I was really that little?" Aidan glanced at her in awe.

"You were." Emily nodded.

"Your brother had just been born." Hanna added. She smiled at Emily. "You remember those crying jags I used to get watching cat litter commercials?"

Hanna used to call her at the oddest hours bawling about cats snuggling with their fake owners on TV.

"You had such a weird pregnancy." Emily snorted out a laugh.

Aidan let out an exasperated breath, clearly bored of the adults.

"Mooom, I'm hungry. Can I get my ice cream now?" He turned to face Hanna.

"In a little bit, smoosh-face. Why don't you do see what your Uncle Toby and your brother are up to?" Hanna pat his knee.

Aidan treated her words like a dog would a release command. He jumped out of the chair and bounded towards the door.