Epilogue: Part I

A/N: Hello all you wonderful Emison fans still out there. There is a lot to be said here.

I wrestled with how to release the last chapter and the epilogue, and after fighting with my inner critic and battling COVID and being ridiculously triggered from having the number 45 as an ending chapter (America has a THING about the number 45 when it comes to politics)...I realized that it fit best as a two-part epilogue. It gives you time to digest everything and it eliminates me having to end on 45. We don't talk about 45.

I'm sorry it took so long to get it out. But being sick and being depressed and so much more in my life played a role. But here we are. Expect Part II to be up shortly following Part I. Within the week. I won't make you wait months.

I really really hope I don't disappoint. Thank you for your continuous support.

*****

Epilogue

PART I:

Paris

The morning of their flight Alison woke up early. She'd been too excited to sleep. She laid on her side facing Emily, hands tucked beneath her cheek.

She watched Emily's soft little breaths and smiled. The brunette's nose twitched and Alison had to fight the urge to kiss it.

She didn't want to wake her up at 2 AM. It wasn't often that one of them got a good night's sleep.

She watched Emily's micro-expressions for a little while...her eyelids fluttering as her eyes cycled through whatever dream she was having...her lips occasionally opening and closing...quiet sounds huffing out of her mouth.

Gus snored at the foot of the bed. The big lug was out cold. He'd had a long day. They had gone to Hanna's house for dinner and he played with Scout and the boys the entire time, with the exception of when they were eating.

He loved to beg for scraps. Liam and Aidan fed him under the table. Alison saw it, but she didn't stop them.

His paws twitched in the same manner that Emily's nose had been twitching. He was dreaming about something. Chasing squirrels. Or perhaps his time with his old friend Louis.

Gus had adapted very well. He seemed to understand he was meant to be there.

Alison had learned very early on that dogs were extremely perceptive.

Pepe had taken a shine to her the second her aunt brought her home from the hospital. He'd treated her like a delicate puppy he needed to protect.

He'd sensed everything she needed. When Marco Furey and Linda Tanner came to question her about the murders he knew that she was uncomfortable with being touched, so even though Marco's intentions had been completely innocent Pepe had not hesitated to let the man know not to lay his hands on her.

Good boy, Pepe. She remembered thinking at the time.

She looked at Gus and smiled, silently saying the same,

Good boy, Gus.

He had pouted when they were packing their bags, but Alison had kissed his head and told him he was going to have a good time and that they'd be back before he knew it. She was apprehensive of how he would adjust to them being gone for three months, but she felt confident that he'd be okay.

You're part of this family. Her eyes said it to him every time she scratched his head and looked into his eyes. You're ours. And we're yours.