Wounded

A/N: I know everyone is eager for Emily to find out Alison's twisted little secret life. Patience.

Tread carefully with this one. There's some triggering material.

*****

Chapter 17:

Wounded

Emily's running shoes slapped the pavement as she jogged through the streets. Light rain misted against her face, mixing with the salty sweat that had gathered there. Her heavy breaths echoed in the quiet morning air.

She ran in time with the beating of her heart. Every beat, a pace forward, a heavy breath. She wasn't necessarily running to anything rather than away from her past.

The two newest victims, Tim Roland and an unidentified Jane Doe were in the morgue at Rosewood General Hospital. The Roland family didn't want to have anything to do with Tim. The ex-wife had signed his remains over to the state to deal with. Emily had seen Chloe in the station holding Grace in the waiting area. The young girl had on a brave face.

They were working on a lead to identify Jane Doe. Holden was consulting with Aria about the woman. She wasn't anyone local to the Poconos, and given the SLK's MO they'd concluded that she had to be from Rosewood.

He'd gone as far as having the body sent to Rosewood so Aria could examine her thoroughly. They'd been chatting on the phone about their findings.

I think he likes her, had been what Emily texted to Toby when she found out last night.

That. And he says he wants to be thorough. Dr. Montgomery has seen the other vics. He wants to make sure these two are consistent with the others, was his response.

And what does Wilkins think?

Clark agrees with Holden. He wants this one in the "solved" column, no matter who gets the credit. Seems like a good dude. Glad they're working with us.

I just wish we had something.

They were no closer to catching the killer than they had been three months ago. It was starting to wear her down. Maya couldn't rest in peace until they knew who was murdering people.

Every time Emily closed her eyes she saw her old girlfriend.

"I can't stay. I'm not built to stay. I have to get out there. See the world."

She'd had such big dreams. She'd deserved to see the world.

"I thought we were going to do that together. We were supposed to go to school and then do those things together..."

The pain. The feeling of abandonment. She'd been hurt.

She reasoned that her pain and her uncertainty had been why she hadn't gone with Maya that night.

"You should come with me."

The soft expression on Maya's face disappeared into a darkness in her mind.

Then...

A sea of blood.

Maya's body.

Blood-curdling screams.

Blood soaking into her jeans.

The smell of rotting flesh.

Emily ran harder, forgetting to control her breathing. She was holding her breath.

Spots appeared in her eyes.

Breathe. She told herself. Breathe or you're going to pass out.