Family

A/N: I ended up splitting this chapter and reworking some things. It would have been the last chapter, followed by an epilogue. But it felt too rushed, so I cut and fleshed out the next chapter to fit with the epilogue. And then...*tries not to cry* this story will officially be over.

Thank you so much for your continued patience.

Rated M. As always.

*****

Chapter 44:

Family

Alison stared at the news article online. She'd already read it dozens of time. She had been fascinated since the beginning.

The case she was following wasn't in the states, so Emily hadn't sniffed it out. It hadn't made local news yet, but she had her internet searches set to find things that weren't completely mainstream. All she needed was a predator and a lead to go on.

Easy enough to find.

But she wasn't expecting to find her next target so far away.

Overseas in Europe there was someone claiming to be a descendant of Jack the Ripper. He was murdering women in France. Several bodies had been found. They had been sexually assaulted, sodomized and cut up into pieces. The killer was leaving calling cards behind, taunting the police.

Normally she stayed close to Rosewood, but something about this particular killer called to her.

In her heart, she knew what it was. She wasn't blind. She saw the similarities between this new killer and Alex Drake. Both of their MO's were the same. They both killed for a game. They were both smug and arrogant and killed for show.

She was learning about him on a dark website where people leaked things about the case.

She was building a file on him and readying herself for her trip.

Traveling was going to be the trickiest part of this kill. She knew she if she went overseas alone it would seem suspicious. But two women celebrating their two year anniversary would look completely normal.

She had mixed feelings about bringing Emily along. The last thing she wanted was to put her in danger. She had thought about telling the detective that she'd been offered an opportunity with Doctor's Without Borders, but she knew Emily would see right through her. She'd insist on going, but she'd be pissed about Alison lying to her and walking into a dangerous situation alone. But if the two of them went on a lavish vacation and Jackie boy fell into her lap it was just a convenient opportunity.

Alison took her time reading through her notes on Jack. His kills were all about control. He was aroused by fear. The way he brutalized the bodies indicated that he was taking his anger out on women because he'd been hurt by women in the past. Perhaps a mother or a mother figure. More often than not, killers like him had been abused in childhood. He sexually and physically abused the women he killed, so it was highly likely the same had been done to him.

Or he's just a twisted sadistic fuck who likes hurting women because he can.

He had a type. Tall slender brunettes with blue eyes and small boobs. All of the victims had been single women in their twenties.

She took notes about his kills.

Brunettes.

Blue Eyes

Small boobs.

Single.

In their twenties.