Fury

A/N: This one is dark, triggering, and painful. Fair warning.

*****

Chapter 38:

Fury

Emily's heart was racing as she reached out a trembling hand. She tried to navigate the darkness as best as she could. Everything had happened so fast. She hadn't seen it coming.

"Liam?" she whispered, feeling up against the wall. Her other hand hovered over where her service weapon should have been. She felt naked without it. "Buddy, where are you?"

The poor kid hadn't said much since the wreck.

Emily had barely managed to keep her emotions in check. After Caleb and Hanna had been hauled away by an ambulance the reality had hit her.

She was angry at herself for falling into a sense of security. She'd become complacent when she should have been on high alert. She'd let her guard down and now the Rivers family was paying the price.

The brakes going out in Caleb's car wasn't an accident. She should have known that.

I'm so stupid. SO stupid!

She'd been too preoccupied trying to settle Liam down that it didn't hit her until it was too late.

Things had been so chaotic at the scene.

Emily had barely blinked, but now they were out of the rain and in a dark room that smelled like musty old wood.

I'm so sorry, kid. This is all my fault.

She heard a whimpering noise and then a sniffle. She leaned down on her hands and knees and crawled towards the terrified child, barely able to make out his outline.

The edge of her hand hit his shoe.

"Liam, thank God." She grasped him and pulled him into her arms. "Are you hurt?"

"No." He leaned into her and let her pick him up. He buried his head against her shoulder and she felt his wet little cheeks against the side of her sweat-covered neck.

He'd been silently crying.

She put her hand on the back of his head, her fingers combing through his hair.

"Shhh, it's okay. It's okay. We're okay."

"I'm sorry I ran away fwom you. I got a-scared."

The little boy didn't know it, but he had a very legitimate reason to be afraid.

"It's not your fault, kiddo." It's mine.

I should have known better.

I never should have gotten comfortable.

I should have been able to protect you...to protect everyone...

"I don't like this." Liam hiccuped out a cry. He'd tried to be brave like his big brother, but he was so afraid.

"I know, baby." Emily was surprised by the depth of her maternal instincts.

Holding the little boy in her arms gave her strength she'd never had before. It was a power, that if needed to be used, would rip apart anyone or anything who tried to hurt him. She felt her arms tightening around his tiny frame.

So small.

So innocent.

So fragile.