Revelations

A/N: This one has a LOT of super dark content. Prepare yourself. I'm still working diligently on these final chapters, but I'm really struggling with life in general, so please be kind and be patient.

Your reviews breathe new life into me. Thank you. I never want to disappoint you.

God, I hope I don't disappoint you.

*****

Chapter 31:

Revelations

Alison's heart hadn't stopped pounding since she burst out of the woods and made it to her car two miles north of the house. She couldn't stop to think about what anything meant until she made it away safely. She just had to hope that Emily could divert the attention away long enough for her to escape.

She opened the trunk and threw her bag inside, her hands trembling as she closed it. She quickly took a dive into the front seat and turned the car on.

"Shit." She smacked the steering wheel with her palms. She curled her fingers around the top of it and squeezed the leather until her fingers hurt. "Shitshitshit, FUCK!"

The string of profanities were no doubt an echo of her wife's thoughts at that very moment.

The conflicted flash of emotions in the detective's eyes when they came face to face was burned into her memory.

The shock.

The disbelief.

The anger.

The betrayal.

That one hurt the worst...that she'd betrayed Emily's trust. They had spent so much time building their relationship based on trust, and she'd been harboring secrets the entire time. But the trust...that was real. She trusted Emily with every ounce of her being, which is why she knew Emily would bend over backwards to make sure there was nothing linking her to the crime.

She took backroads that circled around the outer loop of town, taking a loop back into Rosewood rather than face the possibility of hitting a roadblock.

Her adrenaline was surging. Her thoughts were racing. It was hard to concentrate on the dark road in front of her. She was driving way too fast, and it was only when she took a corner too hard and nearly swerved off the road that she talked herself into slowing down.

Slow down, Alison. She told herself. Just slow down.

She righted the car and lightened the pressure on the accelerator.

It's a perfectly normal morning. I'm just out for an early drive.

"Not like I have a man's sliced up dick and blood-soaked surgical materials in my trunk or anything," she muttered to herself.

I can't lose it now.

I can't afford to lose it.

Her mind wandered back to Emily.

What was she thinking?

What was she feeling?

She'd ripped into Emily emotionally, and she wanted to patch the wounds. She wanted to make it better. It unnerved her to leave her like she had.

She was also irritated at herself for choking in the pool house. She'd fucked up monumentally. She had never left a victim alive before.

The only time she'd ever left a crime scene with a live person was when she rescued Maggie Reynolds' toddler from the trafficker who had him. The baby had been malnourished and in dirty clothes. His diaper hadn't been changed in days. She'd found him crying on a littered bedroom floor. She'd cleaned him up and changed him, fed him, and then dropped him off at the fire station.