Gravity

A/N: It feels odd to post this chapter given what's happening in the world, though I've been told by readers that fiction is the only escape they have from the horrors of the real world. I was torn between pausing this story or continuing. I've decided that if I can provide a comfort to anyone in these uncertain times by simply letting them get lost in a story, it is worth it to post. It sucks that this violence continues to happen in civilized society, over and over again...all over the world. And it's always innocent people who suffer. I'm sick of it.

I stand with Ukraine.

My heart breaks for this world.

I never ask readers for donations, but if anyone should feel so inclined...I encourage you to do some research on organizations who can help Ukraine. Voice of Children, International Rescue Committee, The Humanitarian Organization "CARE", and many more organizations are taking donations. If you enjoy my work and you'd like to do something nice for me, I ask that you do something nice for others instead. If any of my readers are in the hotzone, know that you have so many people behind you. Stay safe.

*****

Chapter 16:

Gravity

Alison hadn't been to the cabin in years. It was the one place that was left unmarred by her family's legacy. It had belonged jointly to her mother and her aunt. Her mother never used it. It was too far from civilization for her. It was below her. The only reason she invested in it was for the tax break.

Her aunt loved it.

The best part about it was that the men in their family didn't know of its existence, so Mary used it as an escape...a safe house. It's where she'd disappeared after her pregnancy started showing. She'd gone there so her father wouldn't learn about the baby.

It's where she'd secretly given birth to Spencer. She'd been out in the wilderness all alone...sweating and screaming through a tedious labor.

She'd cried after Spencer was born. She'd wiped her gooey little blood-covered body clean, swaddled her in a towel, and kissed her perfect little forehead. She had laid with her, too exhausted to move.

She'd spent several precious hours with her before the child's father, Peter Hastings, had arrived to get her.

Protecting Spencer had been the most important thing in the world to her. She knew the child would be safe away from her family.

Parting ways with her felt like giving away a vital piece of her heart...something she never thought she'd be able to function without. But knowing that the little girl would be safe was more important than her pain.

She'd spent nearly a month in the cabin after the birth, trying to find a way to live with herself for giving her child away.

She knew she'd made the right call when her sister got in touch about the birth of her own child, Mary's niece.

Mary's father had plans for little Alison. It was sobering when Mary found out that he was already dictating what the child's life would entail. It was in that moment that Mary knew she'd made the right choice for her own baby.

The cabin was a reminder of what Mary had lost, but at the same time she'd cherish the few hours she'd had with her daughter there. She'd rebuilt her life and was able to see the quaint place as a vision for the future. A quiet place to reflect.

She had taken Alison there after her family was killed. Alison remembered how peaceful it was at the cabin. She remembered peeking out the windows at the trees at the edge of the property, which seemed to be never-ending. Their darkness was a comfort to her.