Chapter 4

How was that possible?!

She knew her own strength. The teacher had indeed said that she could compete for the top scorer; but in her previous life, she had clearly failed the exam. In the end, she could only go to a third-rate university.

On the other hand, Xu Yue's usual results were average, but she performed very well in the college entrance exam and became the top scorer in Science this year. She was fought over by all the schools, which made her parents very happy.

It was because of this that the gap between her and Xu Yue became wider and wider. Everyone said that an adopted daughter was an adopted daughter after all, and she was far inferior to Xu Yue.

But now, the provincial top scorer in Science... had become her?

Seeing the girl's blank face, Li Jingran sighed in his heart, and his heart inexplicably softened.

Maybe she really lost her memory.

The Xu family was stupid enough. Did they become addicted to raising an imposter? They actually said that their biological daughter was an adopted daughter and even forced her out of the house at the birthday party. If he had not happened to pick her up, she might have encountered someone else.

Of course, Li Jingran would not show mercy to a woman who came close to him with ulterior motives. However, he could not be cold-hearted to a young girl who had good grades, was well-behaved, and was in a pitiful situation with amnesia.

Moreover... today, the Xu family had spread the news, faintly hinting that Xu Yue had passed the provincial scholar examination.

Not only did she steal her identity, but she was also planning to steal her results and steal her life?

Li Jingran thought that he was not a good person, but the way the Xu family bullied people really amazed him.

At this time, Xu Wanwan gently tugged on his sleeve.

"Brother, I'm the provincial top scorer. Can I be your sister now?"

Her voice was crisp and sweet, and her eyes were clear, like a poor rabbit, looking at him eagerly—as if being his sister was the most important thing in her heart. Her face was still filled with unease and pleading.

The circumstance of a hatchling.

After all, she had lost her memory, and he was the first person she saw...

Li Jingran tried his best to explain Xu Wanwan's dependence on him. He tried to be expressionless, but the corners of his mouth could not help but curl up.

The little girl was indeed quite capable. If he nurtured her now, he could take her under his wing when she regained her memory in the future, and she could contribute to the Li family. He could treat it as... funding a child's studies.

Li Jingran found a very reasonable excuse for himself. It was not because she was so obedient and cute that it made people instinctively want to treat her well.

"Alright, in the future..."

His tone was still cold, but his gaze had already softened.

"I'll protect you. What should be yours is yours. No one can take it away."

Xu Wanwan's heart skipped a beat, and a surge of uncontrollable joy burst out.

This was the first time someone was willing to protect her explicitly.

"Brother, you're so kind!"

That evening.

Xu Wanwan held a tray, her small face solemn. She stood outside the study room and tried her luck, carefully knocking on the door.