Chapter 37

With her back to the man, Xu Wanwan could not see the subtle changes in his eyes. She repeated seriously, "If you're not used to sleeping on the sofa, you'd better sleep on the bed. I'll sleep on the sofa."

"You have to work tomorrow. It won't be good if it affects your rest."

Li Jingran got up and drank a glass of water. He looked at the girl who was curled up in the corner and chuckled. "I'll rest tomorrow. You can sleep in peace."

Xu Wanwan buried her head in the quilt. When she heard the sound of the lights being turned off, she had no choice but to close her eyes.

She did not want to sleep at first, but after staying up until late at night, she could not keep her eyelids open anymore and finally fell asleep.

The next morning, she turned over and reached out to touch the empty pillow beside her.

Xu Wanwan woke up in a daze. When she realized where she was, she subconsciously looked in the direction of the window.

There was only a thin blanket on the sofa, but Li Jingran was not there.

When she thought about how she had delayed his sleep last night, Xu Wanwan could not help but feel guilty. She quickly got up, folded the blanket neatly, and went downstairs after washing up.

In the dining room, Li Jingran was sitting in front of the table reading the newspaper. When he heard footsteps, he put the newspaper aside and said calmly, "Come and eat."

Xu Wanwan rubbed her eyes then obediently walked to the dining table and sit down.

She carefully observed his expression. When she saw the exhaustion in his eyes, she felt a little apologetic. "I'm sorry for taking over your bed last night, but I won't do it again."

Li Jingran was cutting a steak with a knife and fork in his hand. When he heard this, his eyes darkened.

What did she mean by she wouldn't do it again in the future?

Although there was nothing wrong with her words, he was inexplicably displeased.

"Let's talk about the future in the future." Li Jingran glanced at the girl and said in a deep voice, "After dinner, come with me to the Xu family."

Xu Wanwan's hand that was holding the chopsticks paused. "Go back to the Xu family?"

To be honest, she really didn't want to go back to that place, afraid that if stayed there for one more second, she would remember all her past embarrassment.

Li Jingran could hear the fear in her tone and explained in a low voice, "Go back to the Xu family and settle the score with them."

Xu Wanwan frowned slightly and hesitated.

She still didn't want to face the place that had once hurt her. She was afraid that if she stayed there, she would think of all kinds of embarrassing memories.

Li Jingran put down his knife and fork, stared into her eyes, and said calmly, "Forgetting doesn't mean that you're letting go. Only when you're truly relieved will you be able to let go of the past."

This sentence struck Xu Wanwan's heart.

She felt enlightened.

Yes, she was only forcing herself to forget the past, but every time she saw the members of the Xu family, it still reminded her of that unbearable past.

Some wounds needed time to heal.

And some wounds needed a lot of love and warmth before they could be completely healed.